Need suggestion for best slim optical disk drive

I need to purchase a slim SATA ODD for a slim HTPC case. I'll need DVD, CD, and Blu-Ray read support (best accuracy is what I'm looking for).  Write support is not as important but CDR, DVDR would be needed at least.  I'm really looking for the best slim ODD to finish ripping my CD, DVD, Blu-Ray collection to storage.

Edited by sbelyo

That seems to be what's widely available.  I was hoping for an internal sweet spot so I could ditch the external part.  I forgot that internal slim drives are not very reliable.  I haven't relied on disk based media in the workplace for years

this was the most accurate as of 2016 

Lite-On DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS124-14

Wouldn't mind knowing what you're ripping DVDs with, I have some DVDs I'd like to get the audio off of (Riina Shingo...er...Ringo Sheena, some live concert DVDs, the Advanced Electronics series, etc.).

Mine's a couple years old, but worked fine.  Probably all the lubricant coalesced into one place due to lack of use, though.  So will follow this thread to see what people recommend.

Wouldn't mind knowing what you're ripping DVDs with, I have some DVDs I'd like to get the audio off of (Riina Shingo...er...Ringo Sheena, some live concert DVDs, the Advanced Electronics series, etc.).
Mine's a couple years old, but worked fine.  Probably all the lubricant coalesced into one place due to lack of use, though.  So will follow this thread to see what people recommend.

I use handbrake for dvds and makemkv for Blu-ray
  • Like 1

Blu-ray playback on the Mac is a pain in the ass... I looked into it a while ago and decided to do Blu-ray stuff only on my Windows computer.

I've used Pioneer drives in my desktop computers since Plextor stopped making their own. This seems to be the latest one:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Computer/Computer+Drives/BDR-211UBK

Theoretically, it supports Ultra HD Blu-ray, but online reviews indicate a weird situation with HDCP 2.2 support and Intel SGX – you might need Intel's Kaby Lake for it to work. I think regular Blu-ray playback should be fine with something like PowerDVD. I wish VLC could add Blu-ray support... content protection is still a giant ball of fail for the consumer. The good news is that there is no region coding on Ultra HD Blu-rays.

I seem to remember something like it could.  I do also remember something about ripping the audio from DVDs in another program as well.  If I have time tonight I'll poke around on the machine to see what work.  IFO edit comes to mind or at the very least tells you what the audio tracks are like 2ch stereo with whatever processing like dolby etc.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2017 at 4:48 PM, Dusty Chalk said:

Hey, do you think that’d work for audio from regular DVD-Vs?  That might be all I need.

It looks like DVD audio extracter will, but I did not have it installed.  I was using DVD Audio Explorer.  That program will not unfortunately

• Like 1