square wave

CD44hi

Black Gate caps have not been available for a decade or so. Rubycon used to make them for Jelmax; I think there is graphite powder in there. Rubycon decided that their business model, in making capacitors by the billion did not match making small numbers of boutique parts for the audio industry, and pulled the plug.

Actually they pulled it twice. First time, they were persuaded to continue. That lasted a year or two, and then goodnight Vienna.

So any NOS Blackgate caps out there have been sat on a shelf for at least ten years. And if they are recent, they are fakes.

And dontcha just love vertically mounted resistors. I haven't seen that  sort of thing since TV's in the 1970's.

• Thanks 2

Being designed by Cavalli at the cheapest possible price was priceless.

Who else would design a power supply for beginners that could not be operated without a load, or else POOF.....!!!!!! Instant junk.

On top of that, the load resistors were specced so that they could not be left on too long as the output voltages were adjusted.

Now, imagine a newbie doing the adjusting and being a little slow.

Result, resistor overheats and goes open circuit. That side of the supply is now in no load condition and hence, blows.

Just what a newbie builder needs to turn him off DIY.

All this for the sake of a few extra parts. Marvellous logic there......   :ph34r:

I remember when they dismissed my comments about that back in the day, goes to show why the whole cult aspect of Cavalli was so stupid.  Nobody called him out on his stupidity and lord knows there was a lot of that going around... 

Another bit were the input devices, needing to match those not just into pairs but to a specific range.  How that was a good idea in a budget amp is beyond me...

Another bit were the input devices, needing to match those not just into pairs but to a specific range.  How that was a good idea in a budget amp is beyond me...

I will defend this one as I do it a lot. Picking JFETs that don’t need degeneration is optimal. It’s done in more than one commercial design as well, such as the First Watt J2.

Now, the other shit I can’t defend :)

Then there's the input diff amp with resistors in the tail in the eXstatA - because it's cheaper than a current source and almost as good, according to Cavilli - which was duplicated in his LL because...who needs a little more expensive and better, for a spare no expense SOTA amp for big bucks?

Edited by JimL
  • Like 1