(closed) Dynalo Mini enclosure group buy

cspirou

Cool. Just as a note, you might consider going a bit wider to allow a 0.25” or so gap along each side of the board. (I didn’t check or note the dimensions on your drawing)

This would help with airflow/cooling (I think). There is an AC trace down one side of the board so you certainly do not want to use the case slots for the PCB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John's design was 5.25" wide and mine has already been expanded to 5.5". The PCB is 4.8" wide which leaves 0.21" of space on each side. I'll keep it at 5.5" for now because it makes a few of the hole cutouts easier to define and I think you would benefit more from increasing the number of holes on the bottom plate. Ideally I would have wanted the sides to get drilled but that's not the case with this kind of enclosure.

I'll see if they have some sort of stock perforated metal. It might bring down the machining cost as well.

Edited by cspirou

Do you know what the panel thicknesses are?
Also, I liked the “super symmetry” on John’s design.
Also, were you planning on countersinking the corner holes in the Fr/Rear panels, or doing an inset larger blind hole (for inserting socket-type screws)?

I should temper that by saying this isn’t 10mm territory for this case with the panel mounted controls. 4mm might be too thick. Kerry would probably know better. I know John was good with the 2.5mm he used on the FPE case, and it sounds like their std. is close to that.

I suppose chassis ground would be to code, though from what I have seen no one who had built/cased one did that. Were you going to put holes in the bottom panel for feet? You could use the one closest to the IEC to run a ground wire. Make sure there isn't any interference from anything on the amp board.

The RCAs (and the Neutriks) can be tapped. I just tapped an RCA for M3, and would think 4-40 would work as well.

I prefer your v1 lettering above as well.

EDIT: for grounding, the IEC has 2 mounting holes in the rear panel, which appear they require a screw/nut. As long as the screw contacts bare metal, those would work for the case grounding as well.

Edited by Pars

The screws for the bottom panel also do double duty for attaching rubber supports. Holes were not included in my drawings because I dont know where they are located yet. Using the IEC screws sounds like the best way though as you mentioned.

So no additional modifications to the rear panels for now.

On 1/25/2018 at 2:20 PM, cspirou said:

Neutriks use self tapping screws. I know because i bought standard M3 screws thinking they would be fine and it didn't work. If you bought the plastic A-type XLR jacks you'll need Plastite screws.

The last build I did used the Neutrik plastic A series XLR connectors and I think I used M3 screws.  Whatever the thread was, I ended up tapping the XLR connectors myself.

Added myself to the sheet for one of each.  Thanks!