SRL300 Limited

ALSO

I’m returning to the hobby after some time off and was considering a second hand Utopia to use direct out of my RME interface (for the foreseeable future), but the SRL300 Limited & SRM-353X package still works out significantly cheaper locally for me. I have always been interested in stats. Any thoughts of relative performance between these two options?

• 2 weeks later...

The main thing that I noticed about the SRM L-300 Limited is that they have a lethal clamp. I'm guessing that this is the same as the standard L300- quite narrow. The cups press quite hard against the sides of my head.

@spritzer - you're also  "cranially well-endowed"  as I recall too and probably notice these things. Do you know if the L700 headband is any better? I'm wondering if there's any mileage in swapping the headband if so.

Edited by Kattefjaes

27 minutes ago, spritzer said:

I have a massive head and the L700 fits me better.  The L300 isn't uncomfortable for me but not super comfy either...

That's useful to know. 

https://www.electromod.co.uk/stax/headband/complete-headband-l500-and700/

..says "The L300 is slightly different and will ONLY fit the L300", but what about the other way around? Do you have an L700 headband handy- and if so, any chance of checking if it fits the 300? (unless you know offhand)

11 hours ago, Kattefjaes said:

That's useful to know. 

https://www.electromod.co.uk/stax/headband/complete-headband-l500-and700/

..says "The L300 is slightly different and will ONLY fit the L300", but what about the other way around? Do you have an L700 headband handy- and if so, any chance of checking if it fits the 300? (unless you know offhand)

The L300's use the older Lambda headband so it is quite a bit smaller than the new metal ones.  I don't see any reason why the headbands couldn't be swapped but I can check it out later. 

Oh, that'd be great, thanks. I suspected you'd have all the bits available. The clamp is my only real objection right now- though I am sure I could learn to live with it if necessary.

Otherwise, it all sounds surprisingly decent. I'm going GEN5 Gungir Multibit->Octave 2->L300LE at the moment, which seems to be a combo that punches well above its weight. Not TOTL anything, but surprisingly capable together- all solid components.

The 300LE sound a tad midbassy, but that's forgiveable for a habitual HD650 user.

Edited by Kattefjaes

13 hours ago, Kattefjaes said:

Oh, that'd be great, thanks. I suspected you'd have all the bits available. The clamp is my only real objection right now- though I am sure I could learn to live with it if necessary.

Otherwise, it all sounds surprisingly decent. I'm going GEN5 Gungir Multibit->Octave 2->L300LE at the moment, which seems to be a combo that punches well above its weight. Not TOTL anything, but surprisingly capable together- all solid components.

The 300LE sound a tad midbassy, but that's forgiveable for a habitual HD650 user.

Curious to hear your impressions of the Octave 2 if you don’t mind :)

18 hours ago, spritzer said:

They earcups are identical so they seem to fit just fine.  :)

Thanks for checking, I may well have to try that, then :)

@Rossliew - I am really happy with the Octave 2, actually. It's an obvious upgrade from an SRM-313, at least.  It's clean, linear and commits no major sins- no obvious rolloff, no smoothing of details, no unusually harsh treble. It really does sound like it has a much firmer grip on the drivers and brooks no argument- never sounds like it's struggling.

Obviously, build quality is excellent. I drive it balanced from a Gungir multibit normally, but it worked nicely with an SE DAC and some adapters too as needed.

If you are looking to drive Lambdas and don't want to spend a fortune, it's a nice option. I'm not sure I would try to drive SR-007 or upwards from it though. I'm sure it'd work, but cans like that deserve a slightly more elaborate amp.

I'd describe it as a modestly-priced amp that outperforms its price and size by a decent margin. Very pleasant listening- a touch warm, lots of detail, nothing harsh or unpleasant and tonality is satisfyingly sane.

I'm quite happy with my chain, not TOTL anything, but remarkable bang-for-buck. You could pay a lot more and get a lot less.

Edited by Kattefjaes

Thanks for the concise impressions. 

I have an SR-007 Mk 2 and i'm afraid the Octave 2 may not be sufficient. In any case, i have Birgir's "cheap" version of the KGSSHv and it drives the headphones marvellously. I'm just curious about his other amps and what they bring to the table sonically. As is the case with your set-up, mine is nowhere TOTL too but gives hours of listening pleasure. Happy to stop here but as in any hobby....that's not gonna happen :P 

I was contemplating the L300 LE but having once owned the regular L300, i find it wanting in terms of bass response and the thin ear pads was not too comfy. Still it is a nice headphone for the price. 

Some quick calculations of the 300LE upgraded with a 700 headband and leather pads, and the costs are close to each other's.

I'm wondering, is the 300LE very close to the 700, or far apart as the price difference between the two suggests?

All of the Lambda's are reasonably close in performance but I feel the L700 is better but I'd have to compare them all side by side and play with the earpads too to get a proper picture of it all.  Just don't have the time for that now.