SRL300 Limited

ALSO

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As a slight (and obviously extremely exciting) update.. Due to life happening, I didn't get to swap the headband back when we discussed it.

Happily, in the interim, the death grip seems to have settled down as have the L-300-LE in general. They're a lot more comfy now, and I could swear they're also sounding a bit better- more interesting down low, some action below the mid-bass.

I'm quite pleased with how they perform, they punch well above their weight in combination with my little amp. There are no glaring sins in the sound, at least for someone like me who doesn't necessarily crave the "impact" of heavier drivers with more excursion.

I mean, the L700 seems superior to the L300 Limited. Sure

The Omega are some MK2 from the end of 2015. O2 is the most balanced and and it's my reference headset. 

The L700 has a more relaxed sound, with some very nice trebles but with a bass somewhat fair. The L300 Limited seems warmer, but it lacks the precision and finesse of the L700's treble.

Anyone who thinks that the L300 limited is like an L700 or looks like it, I think it's wrong.

The question is: at the same price, what is the best purchase, the L300 Limited or the L500?

• 2 months later...

Stax claims that the elements are the same in L300LE and the L700. Only difference I can see (besides pads and headband) is that the wire on L700 has silver coating mentioned while L300LE wire doesn't... Given how small company Stax is, i find it hard to believe that there are other differences. 

L300LE: OFC parallel 6-strand, low-capacity wide cable, 2.5m full length

L700: Silver-coated 6N (99.9999%) OFC parallel 6-strand, low-capacity special wide cable, 2.5m full length 

So wires are the source of significant difference in sound signature?