Great headphones for listening to [Piano, Guitar]

glober

Hi guys,

I had a Sennheiser HD595 for many years and that was an okay headphone and I've used it for 8 maybe close to 10 years now, but now that I'm beginning to learn musical instruments and starting to appreciate music for fully, I'm in the market for a set of new headphone and was hoping if anyone could perhaps point me in the right direction or better yet, give me a few recommendations. :D

The headphone's usage will be primarily for home listening. The range of music will be predominately classical & flamenco guitar (acoustic), piano, and sometimes jazz, blues, progressive rock, ambient, electronic (lol i guess i listed pretty much all the genres here) but the focus will be piano and classical/flamenco guitar. Do genres even matter? or are some headphones better suited for certain type of music?

In addition, would it be better to get an open-back rather than a close-back headphone?  I guess one bonus of having the open-back is that if i am playing guitar with a backing track through the headphone, the process will be more enjoyable as I will be able to hear the music not separately and sealed off in my ears but together naturally?!?!

Price range: would prefer to be around or below the $200 range, but opened to options in $300 range.

* I know that Beyerdynamic DT 770 is quite popular among electronic music producers and a friend of mine even recommended that to me; it's also within my price range as well, but is that a headphone that's more suitable as a studio headphone as it's more flat? or is it fantastic for music listening as well?

Thanks in advance!

oh no. i'm so sorry. I will introduce myself and post it in the correct section.

i did not get a welcome pm though. :(

*EDIT: just went to the link you provided, and also the New Member Introduction thread, i lack sufficient privileges to post in those areas though. This is the only place that seems to allow me to make a post which is why i posted here initially :(

New Member Introductions thread

17 hours ago, glober said:

why are you linking me songs? <_<

To test if your ears are up to high quality sound from headphones.........:P

Customer service here at Head-Case is next to nothing and unparalleled to anything found in all those more popular and pompous sites....B)

We give you no frills opinionated objectivism for free......:lol:

4 hours ago, wink said:

We give you no frills opinionated objectivism for free......:lol:

You know, we don't really have a tagline like, "sorry about your wallet", but if we did, it would be Ricardo Montalban from Fantasy Island saying whatever it was he said whenever a guest didn't get what he asked for, but got what he deserved.

I think no matter what headphones you get, they will compromise on either one or the other.  Piano is a really special instrument with a wide range and lots of rich, organic overtones and subtle, interacting acoustic energy transferring between the strings (one note has three strings, did you know that?).  Guitar is lovely too, in its simplicity.  A truly perfect guitar note starts out rather triangular, and eventually attenuates to the closest one can come to purity, the sine wave.

You really need two sets of headphones.

And on ensembles, don't get me started.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

You know, we don't really have a tagline like, "sorry about your wallet", but if we did, it would be Ricardo Montalban from Fantasy Island saying whatever it was he said whenever a guest didn't get what he asked for, but got what he deserved.

"Sorry about your sanity....." could do it....:D

13 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

But does it do them greatly?

And what about hammered dulcimer?

Yeah, gotta love those old Appalachian folk instruments, which originated from the middle east.

Dulcimer means sweet song which well describes it's mellifluous character.......

So much better than the xylophone/vibraphone, except, of course when the vibe is played by Lionel Hampton......:wub:

Edited by wink
  • Like 1