Vintage Radio Shack headphones

genewiseman

I am putting together a vintage Realistic bookshelf stereo system with a SA-150 integrated amp, Minimus 7 speakers, and a Lab-290 turntable. It dawned on me that my headphones are the only component that doesn't fit into the early 80's Radio Shack theme. I need some suggestions for headphones that Radio Shack sold in that same time period. I would guess that there were some decent headphones made for Radio Shack in the early 80's. I thought that this would be the best place to get expert advise so what would you recommend?

Thanks a lot,

Gene

37 minutes ago, mypasswordis said:

The Realistic Pro 30 could be considered the poster child for vintage orthodynamics, at least from wualta's orthodynamic roundup thread. Can't remember when it was produced off the top of my head, maybe late 70s?

I see that they were sold in the 1983 catalog. Do you know if they were comfortable?

11 minutes ago, genewiseman said:

I see that they were sold in the 1983 catalog. Do you know if they were comfortable?

Great, it fits your theme then! I own a pair and wouldn't call them comfortable, but largely because that's just how supraaural headphones are in general. Otherwise, they are quite lightweight. What I don't like the most is the coiled cable that was so popular back then. 

• Thanks 1