Need help picking out a DAC with 'true balanced' output...

philodox

Hi all,

I posted this on head-fi as well, but figured the folks here might have some input as well since there seems to be quite a few DAC users...

Well, I am still strongly considering the Lavry Black as it seems to be a perfect solution for my needs. I will be using a Slimdevices Squeezebox to feed it and initially will drive my HF-1's from the headphone output and my balanced K340's from the XLR outputs. Now, the QC issues that are being discussed on the Lavry forums combined with Ori's recent review that seem to be giving the nodd towards the Zhaolu have me concerned. What I'm wondering, is there any similar DAC's out there that I may want to consider?

Things that I need:

- True balanced output. No generating inverse phase after the output stage.

- Decent built in headphone amp for low impedance headphones.

- SPDIF input [coaxial]

Things that would be nice:

- Discrete amplification [This almost made it to the need category]

- No opamps or caps in the signal path [Ditto]

- Great built in headphone amp for low impedance headphones.

- USB input

- Volume control

My budget is $1000, though if it cost less that would be great.

To give you an idea of the sound I like, I love the Eastsound, wasn't too impressed with the DAC1, and am absolutely crazy about the top end Wadia gear.

Thanks in advance,

Jason O0

I would avoid the zhalou, parts quality is pretty low and there have been reports of extremely high dc offset at the rca and xlr outputs. Build quality is also less than stellar looks pretty fragile to me. The Lavry is a very nice dac we have a few members here that have them.

I would avoid the zhalou, parts quality is pretty low and there have been reports of extremely high dc offset at the rca and xlr outputs. Build quality is also less than stellar looks pretty fragile to me. The Lavry is a very nice dac we have a few members here that have them.
Good points... I also have little reason to trust Ori's opinion after this paper weight of an amp he designed for me. :D

Any other options out there though? Just making sure I've covered all my bases before making a $1000 purchase. ;)

Hi all,

I posted this on head-fi as well, but figured the folks here might have some input as well since there seems to be quite a few DAC users...

Well, I am still strongly considering the Lavry Black as it seems to be a perfect solution for my needs. I will be using a Slimdevices Squeezebox to feed it and initially will drive my HF-1's from the headphone output and my balanced K340's from the XLR outputs. Now, the QC issues that are being discussed on the Lavry forums combined with Ori's recent review that seem to be giving the nodd towards the Zhaolu have me concerned. What I'm wondering, is there any similar DAC's out there that I may want to consider?

Things that I need:

- SPDIF input [coaxial]

- USB input

- Volume control

To give you an idea of the sound I like, I love the Eastsound, wasn't too impressed with the DAC1, and am absolutely crazy about the top end Wadia gear.

Thanks in advance,

Jason O0

The CEC DA53 can be had from pricejapan for $685. Add an m3 or dynalo etc for the headphone amp requirement and you're still way under $1000, have usb input, a dac with great sound, with true balanced outputs...

I also have little reason to trust Ori's opinion after this paper weight of an amp he designed for me. :D
:laugh: Did you tell him the truth? He was offended when I thought the X2 a "little better" than the X1.

I'm in no position the play with DACs now but I do want to try some different digital cables. I wish I had three DACs for different moods. I only have three moods?

Hi all,

Things that I need:

- SPDIF input [coaxial]

- USB input

- Volume control

Thanks in advance,

Jason O0

grawk's zhaolu DAC blew up and had horrible build quality plus other issues. don't make your decision based on one single review...who knows if ori has an axe to grind or not. seriously my hype alarm rang when i read that review.

I was talking with Ken Law from Storm Digital earlier and he mentioned something about the clock on the Zhalou being a lie/trick, that you could take it out and the DAC would still work. Not exactly sure if he means the clock is completely useless and actually doesn't do anything or if he meant something else.

I was talking with Ken Law from Storm Digital earlier and he mentioned something about the clock on the Zhalou being a lie/trick, that you could take it out and the DAC would still work. Not exactly sure if he means the clock is completely useless and actually doesn't do anything or if he meant something else.

Wow, this just keeps getting richer!

That is very interesting... you should post that rumour in Ori's 'Zhaolu kills all' thread and see what he has to say about it. :D

I don't know enough about it to post over there and deal with the barrage of questions, it would be better if Ken himslef posted (not sure whether he can or not due to the posting rules) or have him explain it to someone who would understand it better and be able to fully explain and answer questions.

In that case, I think Iron Dreamer should contact Ken... he seems to know his shit. O0

There is also the language barrier to contend with. I think Ken was going to talk to Adrian about it but I don't know how much knowledge he actually has on the subject either.

Unfortunately, if I started making statemens questioning the new FOTM, I would probably just be ruthlessly assailed for trying to "protect my investment." So I don't know if that would do any good. I think a non Lavry or DAC1 owner would have to be the one going against the grain.
I nominate aerius! He gets banned every other week anyways. :D