Need help picking out a DAC with 'true balanced' output...

philodox

Unfortunately, if I started making statemens questioning the new FOTM, I would probably just be ruthlessly assailed for trying to "protect my investment." So I don't know if that would do any good. I think a non Lavry or DAC1 owner would have to be the one going against the grain.

relax and sit tight, FOTMs always die out really fast.

I was literally forced, as in "here Pat listen to this," several times to listen to Ori's Zhalou DAC on my several trips to the Orpheus altar at the Saratoga meet. Unlike you guys, I am really nice in person ;D so I obliged every time. We compared the Zhalou to the Esoteric combo (Transport/DAC). Although Ori kept insisting that the Zhalou has better bass extension and what not, I just couldn't hear it! My ears always preferred the Esoteric by a long shot. I thought the Esoteric had a more refined presentation that is clearly evident, making the Zhalou grainy by comparison, which was interpreted as "more detailed." I also auditioned the Lavry there, and I prefer it a lot more over the "more detailed" presentation of the Zhalou. I respect Ori and Zdogg's opinions on the Zhalou, but we obviously all hear differently. The Lavry is my next source if I can't raise enough funds to afford a Meitner.

Unfortunately, if I started making statemens questioning the new FOTM, I would probably just be ruthlessly assailed for trying to "protect my investment." So I don't know if that would do any good. I think a non Lavry or DAC1 owner would have to be the one going against the grain.

Bingo. No matter what you do, you cannot remove the fanboyism from this overexaggerated and undeserving FOTM. There is no use trying to talk sense into them; the reviews are so obviously biased, it's ridiculous.

The Zhaolu FOTM is getting at my nerves. There are so many problems and lies with the Zhaolu (the $50 opamp upgrade, the clock upgrade that doesn't do jack, for example) that I'll be damned if I get mixed into it; after posting my Storm thread, I've gotten over 5 PMs of people asking me to do a comparison with the Zhaolu. Most noteably, a user had the nerve to MSN me, ask me some details regarding the Storm, and then flatout saying the Zhaolu had better specs, better sound quality (???) than the Storm. WTF?

The Lavry, DAC-1, and Esoteric do not deserve to even be in the same room as the Zhaolu, let alone be compo-reviewed.

Bingo. No matter what you do, you cannot remove the fanboyism from this overexaggerated and undeserving FOTM. There is no use trying to talk sense into them; the reviews are so obviously biased, it's ridiculous.

The Zhaolu FOTM is getting at my nerves. There are so many problems and lies with the Zhaolu (the $50 opamp upgrade, the clock upgrade that doesn't do jack, for example) that I'll be damned if I get mixed into it; after posting my Storm thread, I've gotten over 5 PMs of people asking me to do a comparison with the Zhaolu. Most noteably, a user with a similar name as Patb (differs in one letter) had the nerve to MSN me, ask me some details regarding the Storm, and then flatout saying the Zhaolu had better specs, better sound quality (???) than the Storm. WTF?

The Lavry, DAC-1, and Esoteric do not deserve to even be in the same room as the Zhaolu, let alone be compo-reviewed.

headfi is a really good place to start hypes and spread misinformation. i don't know why people base their purchases on a single hype review or so - without actual listening or any careful research!

The Zhaolu FOTM is getting at my nerves. There are so many problems and lies with the Zhaolu (the $50 opamp upgrade, the clock upgrade that doesn't do jack, for example) that I'll be damned if I get mixed into it; after posting my Storm thread, I've gotten over 5 PMs of people asking me to do a comparison with the Zhaolu. Most noteably, a user with a similar name as Patb (differs in one letter) had the nerve to MSN me, ask me some details regarding the Storm, and then flatout saying the Zhaolu had better specs, better sound quality (???) than the Storm. WTF?

I thought the zhalou was pretty good. I was a little disturbed by the DC offset. I never did hear the balanced outs. It sounded better than a $200 dac has a right to. It probably is better than the DAC1, tho I never compared them. It probbaly isn't better than the CEC DA53, tho I never compared them...it's not bad. With a discrete headphone amp, it's an unbelievable bargain, especially if you don't have dc offset issues. It probably does deserve to be compared to stratospheric dacs, but not by fanboys.

I thought the zhalou was pretty good. I was a little disturbed by the DC offset. I never did hear the balanced outs. It sounded better than a $200 dac has a right to. It probably is better than the DAC1, tho I never compared them. It probbaly isn't better than the CEC DA53, tho I never compared them...it's not bad. With a discrete headphone amp, it's an unbelievable bargain, especially if you don't have dc offset issues. It probably does deserve to be compared to stratospheric dacs, but not by fanboys.

Probably. But you know in your heart that, if Ori and zdogg got their hands on a CEC DA53, the Zhaolu would be significantly better in a comparision review. As would any other DAC. This is only the beginning, and sooner or later every DAC review will have a post along the lines of : "How does it compare against the Zhaolu?"

Zhalou is very interesting.

I just want to say,one of the mod of zhalou seems to be useless.

it connect a 6.144Mhz clock to CS8414's FCK(pin13),respect to the datasheet,this pin is use for frequency detection.

dont have any relationship with the clock recover circuit,just for report the receiver status(like some DAC have 44.1/48Khz lamp).

6.144 Mhz is asynchonize to everything.if someone said this is the mod which can improve sound,I would like to say,

it bring interference to the circuit.zhalou users can try to cut the wire from the clock upgrade mod,yes,you can cut it.

to listen what is the difference.I can tell you.should be the same.

Probably. But you know in your heart that, if Ori and zdogg got their hands on a CEC DA53, the Zhaolu would be significantly better in a comparision review. As would any other DAC. This is only the beginning, and sooner or later every DAC review will have a post along the lines of : "How does it compare against the Zhaolu?"

I wouldn't say that. I personally met the two gentlemen in question and they are music lovers just like us. They just hear differently, that is all. I believe they really both think that the Zhalou is the better DAC. (Ori said the Meridian G08 bests the Zhaolu and Esoteric, so he has some credibility in my book ;D )

I was literally forced, as in "here Pat listen to this," several times to listen to Ori's Zhalou DAC on my several trips to the Orpheus altar at the Saratoga meet. Unlike you guys, I am really nice in person ;D so I obliged every time. We compared the Zhalou to the Esoteric combo (Transport/DAC). Although Ori kept insisting that the Zhalou has better bass extension and what not, I just couldn't hear it! My ears always preferred the Esoteric by a long shot. I thought the Esoteric had a more refined presentation that is clearly evident, making the Zhalou grainy by comparison, which was interpreted as "more detailed." I also auditioned the Lavry there, and I prefer it a lot more over the "more detailed" presentation of the Zhalou. I respect Ori and Zdogg's opinions on the Zhalou, but we obviously all hear differently. The Lavry is my next source if I can't raise enough funds to afford a Meitner.
Oh god, PLEASE post this in that damn Zhaolu fanboy thread. :P

I am the one between irond dreamer and AYT!

you tried to conceal yourself, but apparently not as well as utep10 who's cap we can barely see in the picture. ;D well, maybe you didn't try to intentionally... I think us on the other side of the table didn't pay attention to the picture taking since it was far away and thought we wouldn't be captured. at least that was my take on it.