NHL Playoffs 2018

skullguise

So apparently hockey interest has waned quite a bit here, but wanted to start a thread for the playoffs, round 2 and on.

Liking the Bruins, they were so much fun to watch this year and just got out of the first round.  Toronto just matched up very well with them, and I'm hoping the regular season match-up with the Lightning carries into this series.

Just finished watching the Caps & Pens game, glad Caps won this.  Series will be great to watch, some great skill, physical play, and genuine dislike going on here.  As a Bruins fan, hoping the Bruins get to the next round, I want to see this series go 7 games and get them all tired out :D

Happy also to see SJS tie up the series with Vegas, though I think Vegas will go on to win the series....

And WPG and Nashville series should be exciting, two talented, fast, and strong teams.....

no skin in the game this year, first time in 10 years but can't complain.

gotta root for sharks and caps, as always. boston/tampa seems like a toss-up, i won't be surprised if boston makes it to ECF despite the toughest path there. and lastly, completely loving the nashville/winnipeg series. nashville is very lucky to be heading out of town with the series split. i am totally on jets bandwagon, how can you not love watching Big Buff drag those bitch preds around...

On 4/29/2018 at 5:24 PM, skullguise said:

And WPG and Nashville series should be exciting, two talented, fast, and strong teams.....

First time Winnipeg has made it to round 2, including the old pre-1996 team before they moved to Phoenix. I never pay attention to hockey, but I'm paying attention now. A bit.

• Like 2

Winnipeg looks exciting for sure, I hope they make it to the finals.  On one of the online forums, we've exchanged pleasantries with their posting fans, who see quite knowledgeable and friendly.

Wish I could say the same for excitement about the Bruins.....they got robbed in Game 4 on a non-call of a penalty that immediately led to a tying goal, and then lost in OT.  But at the same time, aside from game 1 and some of game 4, they have been outplayed.  The fact they stuck in it, and got some horrible ref calls & missed calls, just sours it some for me.  I respect the hell out of Tampa Bay, but the officiating (in this and most other games) has been horrid.

boston/tampa series turned out to not be that exciting (yes refs seemed pretty off)... boston was exposed in lack of depth especially on forwards. it didn't seem like tampa worked that hard - actually i don't think tampa's shown all that much effort in either of their series so i'm pretty curious how they'll show up for ECF.

from what i can tell, vegas basically plays a perfect pressure game. there's never not a guy up on the puck.. it doesn't matter where the other team has possession, what kind of numbers they might have... there's always a vegas player right there. the pressure has been non-stop and it's truly impressive they have sustained this for an entire regular season and then keep at it in playoffs as well. the sharks had some answers for it at times but last night was some shitty puck-luck against them and they couldn't overcome.

it's crazy but vegas will be able to take anyone if the calls and pucks go their way. they are creating their own luck. right now i think they'd very well beat nashville, pittsburgh, and washington. winnipeg and tampa seem as though they could respond pretty well but who knows.

Pens have won twice now, and Ovie deserves it....so happy for the Caps, especially to get over that big hump that plagued them for years.  Now I hope they don't have a letdown.

Caps vs. Lightning should be a good series, Caps have the physical presence and more depth than the Bruins (B's showed remarkable depth all season, but that depth that was not "playoff-ready" yet; whole different game at that time).

Would love to see Caps in the final, playing either Winnipeg or Vegas.  New Blood!  Still excited to watch the games, even without my home team in.

go Jets! completely outclassed nashville. as a hawks fan, seeing nashville not match expectations of their (relatively arrogant) fanbase was pretty satisfying.

pretty damn happy with the way the final four turned out. i legitimately like all of the teams remaining and would be happy to see any of them win. if I had to order them, i guess i'd go...

1. Winnipeg or Washington (really can't decide here) > 3. Vegas > 4. Tampa Bay (since they've already won)

^^^ What he said....:)

Someone on one of the Hockey Boards posted a rant, and part of his joy of seeing Nashville out was (some paraphrasing) the "day after fucking day of all these fucking country stars coming out to sing for HOCKEY.....seriously, this ain't fucking NASCAR....."

• Like 1

On 5/7/2018 at 9:21 AM, Aura said:

actually i don't think tampa's shown all that much effort in either of their series so i'm pretty curious how they'll show up for ECF.

well game 1 isn't over yet but tampa sure as shit hasn't shown up to start. washington beating them to everything. don't even need Backstrom. 

had to dvr winnipeg/vegas game 1 and ended up skipping through some of it, but this is set up to be a great series. first time (perhaps all season) that vegas is facing a team that equals them on speed. biggest question will be whether winnipeg's blue line can keep it going. they had it for the third period which was one of the better periods i've watched all playoffs.

wash/tampa game 2 was a laugher. caps are firing on all cylinders and tampa is asleep at the wheel. series isn't over by any means but damn, the depth of experience tampa acquired is meaningless right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Great last 2 games by the Caps, on to the Stanley Cup!  I am wide open for who to root for....love the Vegas story but would love to have Ovie get his due.

Interesting twist: George McPhee is the GM for Vegas, and WAS the GM for the Caps.....should be a good side story.

Looking forward to the finals!