CD storage

shellylh

My first vote would be to chuck them all. I did, when we moved, and I have not missed them at all. You can probably get a decent tax deduction if you donate them.

My second vote would be to find a local cabinet maker, and to get him or her to make something for you.

• Like 3

Another option is to look at storing them without the jewel cases, just in sleeves.  A lot of upfront work, and the cost is a smaller cabinet along with a whole bunch of sleeves that can store/display the covers.  Digipaks, box sets, and special format CD's are the exception.  I investigated this some years ago, got a fair amount that I'd like to keep but save some space.

And yet another option is to just get several binders with pages/sleeves that can hold the CD and cover/insert.

But bottom line, I'd recommend losing the jewel cases.....and to Doug's point, sell off or donate what you don't really want.

Now, if only I could take this advice....!

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, skullguise said:

Another option is to look at storing them without the jewel cases, just in sleeves.  A lot of upfront work, and the cost is a smaller cabinet along with a whole bunch of sleeves that can store/display the covers.  Digipaks, box sets, and special format CD's are the exception.  I investigated this some years ago, got a fair amount that I'd like to keep but save some space.

And yet another option is to just get several binders with pages/sleeves that can hold the CD and cover/insert.

But bottom line, I'd recommend losing the jewel cases.....and to Doug's point, sell off or donate what you don't really want.

Now, if only I could take this advice....!

All of this.

I ripped all mine to a NAS drive, so I can instantly choose what I want. Took a month or more, using dbpoweramp https://www.dbpoweramp.com/ .

But I have no intention of getting rid of the CD's. Audio is littered with defunct media - cartridge, cassette, VHS, Betamax, quadraphonic (in two varieties) and others. So I keep the CD's, and CD player(s) too in the event that (a) the NAS goes phut (the horror, the horror) or (b) the whole digital storage paradigm is superseded.

• Like 2

Rip them all to a NAS, stored losslessly (e.g. FLAC). Use a small network streamer to feed your DAC.

(I used EAC, as it's safer and more reliable with errors than dbpoweramp, and is completely free).

Pack CDs away in air-tight plastic storage crates, with sachets of silica gel to prevent mould. Stack crates out of the way in a cupboard or something. I should really do that last one, I still have too many CDs lying about.

• Like 1

Started ripping them all to a drive but never finished.  So, no that is not going to happen.  The only reason I am not just chucking them and using Tidal/lossless is because sometimes I just want to put a disk and listen to music.   

How would one store them without jewel cases so that I can keep them alphabetized and be able easily browse through them?  I did binders/pages/sleeves at some point and hated it.  Plus, t was impossible to keep organized. 

1 hour ago, shellylh said:

Started ripping them all to a drive but never finished.  So, no that is not going to happen. ...

I find this hard to believe as you are a mathematician and work on one problem for an eternity until you solve it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, shellylh said:

Started ripping them all to a drive but never finished.  So, no that is not going to happen.  The only reason I am not just chucking them and using Tidal/lossless is because sometimes I just want to put a disk and listen to music.   

Yeah - I use Tidal HiFi too. But that is a fragile technology. Digital streaming services can go bust, are prone to cyber crime and warfare, or new technologies based on human embedded augmented intelligence (maybe 10 years off) or similar might cause them to go phut as a business.

But you know something really funny - I have all this digital shit - and now 80% of my listening is to vinyl.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, shellylh said:

How would one store them without jewel cases so that I can keep them alphabetized and be able easily browse through them?  I did binders/pages/sleeves at some point and hated it.  Plus, t was impossible to keep organized. 

When I started researching a couple years ago, there some sleeves like THESE that were cheaper, but can't remember where I had found them.....  If you want the organization and don't mind that price, it's great.  Maybe you can shop around and find better prices.

I had my own answer until you said, "high WAF".  When I was married, however, the wife was okay with two of these:

The Wood Shed Solid Oak 9 Row Dowel 504 CD Media Rack

...but they were in the "library" (a repurposed guest room).  Of course, she was the most easy-going, compatible (without being submissive) woman I've ever met, so...yeah, sorry, not helping.

• Haha 1