Something to attenuate the signal between source and amp?

deepak

I'm finding I'm not getting enough headroom on my Melos pot since the Northstar DAC outputs higher than my previous DAC. (And the Melos might have a pretty high gain)

I like have a lot of room to play with on the volume knob, but right now I can't take it past 9 o' clock. Is there something I can do that won't degrade sound quality? This is only a problem with my HP-2, using the Melos as a preamp works fine.

There's also something called the "Nude Attenuators", and I'm sure there are cheaper versions (still called attenuators) one can get at parts express and whatnot.

Thanks! Completely forgot about PartsExpress, they have the Harrison 6 dB for $26 or generics for $6...i'm going to grab one of them.

I remember reading in some old threads on HF that using Harrison Labs' attenuators degraded sound qualities, I've personally never used them, however. I'll see if I can dig up those threads.

EDIT - and IIRC, it was a post by Hirsch that convinced me not to get them.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks! Completely forgot about PartsExpress, they have the Harrison 6 dB for $26 or generics for $6...i'm going to grab one of them.

Hi jpak

I tried the 3db Harrison's from PartsExpress a few years ago, thinking that just a little attenuation might be alright, but they degraded rather than attenuated. I don't remember all the specifics but I do remember that I tried to use them on quite a few occasions and had to pull them out of the circuit each time because they ruined the high end.

IMHO, I don't recommend them for audiophile use.

Maybe they are better now.

USG

orig.jpg