Denafrips DACs

And regarding this new Dac, there is a pretty serious discussion regarding stealing someone´s implementation/design/whole board,

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-airist-audio-r-2r-dac/talk/2098625?utm_source=linkshare&referer=BW5T38

And the usual forums has the usual discussion about it.

Me, I´m just :popcorn: 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Didn't have them at the same time, but I had the Ares, then later got the Soekris 1541 DAC/Amp (still have that).  About twice as much, but definitely more refined, a bit more transparent, and I THINK a bit better extension at both frequency extremes.  Twice as good?  No....but better overall.

I also owned the USB-powered 1101....not as good as the desktop unit, but better than several other DAC/amp units I had tried at work.

BTW, the amp sections on the 1541 is just good, not great.  A fair bit lost compared to putting the line outs to a nicer external amp.  I'm using mine with an ECP DSHA-3F (custom output for the Focal phones).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, johnwmclean said:

Bring back the :basement: 

Anyone had time with a RME ADI 2 DAC?

I've owned the ADI-2 Pro AE since it's inception (got the 3rd unit off the line) and for almost a year used an ADI-2 DAC in the office. Also I've been discussing both of them with their designer Matthias Carstens.

What can I do for you?

2 hours ago, johnwmclean said:

Anyone had time with a RME ADI 2 DAC?

Got it a few months back. Will not be selling it.

Sound is great, parametric eq is really handy for some hp’s/recordings, and it gets reassuringly warm :) 

Archimago has all the numbers:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/10/measurements-rme-adi-2-pro-fs-as-dac.html?m=1

Anyways, here's my 2 eurocents.

It's really all about the features and wether you care to benefit from them. It comes with a 100 page manual and it's worth to actually go through it. Almost every aspect of it makes the purist stuff from most audiophile mfg's look stone age. You get one of the best digital volume controls out there, 5 band stereo PEQ, unique loudness compensation, dicking around with DAC filters, all kinds of X-feed and much more.

It measures impeccably. I'm half sure that my Pro can give lab grade measurement stuff from AP a run for their money. As for the sound, I enjoy it. If you're used to THD, then it might feel too naked. I've heard people say that. Simple music like strings with solo vocals can sound richer on dirtier sources, the problem is that this richness gets in way of spectrally busier records like metal and such. And I personally like to feel that what I'm hearing is the truth, even if there's no direct way to know that.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

If you can make do with just the DAC, then this is a nice choice, if a tad ugly - http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/adi_2_fs.php Comes around 30% cheaper that the ADI-2 DAC, but the DAC and headamp circuit is the same.

I really enjoy the fact that the ADI-2 Pro is a 4 channel DAC, so I can run my subs digitally crossed over and room corrected.