Inexpensive decent earbuds...

Pars

On my commute, I have been using Apple Earbuds, which seem to leak a bit of sound. I am normally riding on a train car designated as "Quiet Car" and have had a couple of people look at me if I'm really cranking something, so I was looking for something that didn't leak as much. I know, JH13 :)

I ran across the HifiMan HE400s on innerfidelity, which Tyll seemed to like, and can get these for around $50. I also noticed they have an HE400i (iPhone) or HE400a (Android). From what I can tell, these do not have a microphone, but do have the inline volume control thingy? The reviews seem to indicate that the inline controls are cheap and break. I never really use these, but if they did have a mic in them, could be useful. This is for use with an iPhone 7 or 8. Sound-wise, the Apple ear buds are fine, but better of course would be appreciated.

• Thanks 1

So I wound up getting some KZ ATE IEMs after a friend recommended them as a cheap IEM. This version has a built-in mic. None of the stock tips are great, but if you upgrade to Complys (I went with the T-500). This setup sounds way too good for 30$ (with 3 sets of tips being the bulk of that). With the Complys, it's comfy and blocks a reasonable bit of noise. I think of it as the "KSC-75 of IEMs." Perfect? No. But I found myself reaching for them quite a bit. There are even some little gold colored weights on the cable to help with the fit. It works rather well.

That being said...

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered the RE400i’s. Got them. They are on their way back. Tinny, couldn’t get them to seal well. The best tips were the biflange stock tips. Even pressing on my ears for a decent seal showed me that these would never be acceptable so back they go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, a quick look at these and they might work. How well do they isolate bleed (I.e., are they fairly quiet to those around you). I’ll shoot you a pm. Other than that aspect of the Apple dual driver ear pods, the sound of those is acceptable (if I can keep them sealed)
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using the Sennheiser HD1 In-Ear wired headphones on public transit... under $100. The stock ear tips are silicone and isolate moderately, but I immediately upgraded to Comply tips. I just tried them with moderate music volume and I can't hear anything with ambient air conditioning blowing.

A coworker also strongly recommended the 1More Triple Driver headphones to me. They don't go in that deep, but people seem to like them and they come with a variety of tips.

Edited by HiWire