Security camera recos

shellylh

I am thinking of getting a security camera for my office as I think that the cleaning person like to hang out in some of the offices with couches here.   May also get one for the house since we have a dog and it's easier to check up on her that way.   Any recommendations?  

I am not sure how the wifi with the camera might work since we have to log into the wifi here to use it (not just put in a pw).  So maybe bluetooth may work better?  I have a Mac at home and in the office.  I was looking at Nest.

8 minutes ago, dsavitsk said:

https://www.ubnt.com/products/#unifivideo

If you want to use wifi, get your own router.

G3 or is G3 Flex sufficient? 

Thanks, I thought about using my own router but I am not sure how I could set up a router in the office.  Even if you use the ethernet, you have to log in to with your netid and pw here.  I think I tried and failed to do this in the past. 

Edited by shellylh

If you are simply wanting to determine if people are using the office you could just go with any of the standard or covert cameras and record directly to SD card for review when you are in the office.  

You can really use any old webcam connected to the computer as well if you really want.  Put a basic DVR solution on the computer and record footage from the webcam.

• Like 1

For the office, I might just leave a note on your sofa requesting the cleaning person to stop using it. Also, you don't really need video, so a motion sensing still camera would be fine, too.

2 hours ago, shellylh said:

G3 or is G3 Flex sufficient?

I'd assume they are all fine for watching the dog. I have an older Ubiquiti camera at home and run their DVR software on an old Linux box.

I just leave a webcam pointed in the general direction of areas I didn't want the cleaning staff to go to. Caught one of the staff doing something they weren't supposed to and the security office was thankful I sent them the video clip. I just leave it plugged into my desktop the whole time and delete the video the following day. Take a a few seconds to scrub through the video as the cleaning staff only ever show up in my office over a 20 minute window.