19V Linear PSU for PC

sbelyo

Apart from its use as a PC linear supply, that is good value for a grunty supply anyway.

The thing to watch is reliability though. If one of the linear supplies goes down and the other voltages stay up, what happens? Or if one of the linear regulator series pass transistors go into second breakdown and shove raw rectified voltage up a supply line. A bit of failure mode thinking might be in order.

Edited by Craig Sawyers

Yeah, you can use it for a bunch of things.  The module itself seems to be in a bunch of psu's that power dacs, music servers, nas boxes.

In my case I'm going to use a mini stx board so the only power connection is 19Vdc.  The board then does the rest.  The trick for me is to find the right transformer.  I figure I need 25 Vac but not sure about VA, I'm thinking 150 VA or 200VA.  The complete psu's that you see are either toroids or r cores so I'd like to try and find both.  Antek has the toroid but can't find an r core in that size

How about https://www.yuan-jing.com/transformer/r-core/200VA/r-core-transformer-200va-input-ac-0-220v-output-ac-0-12v-x2-ac-0-24v-x2 . Ignore the low-current 12V, and parallel the 24V secondaries for 7.4A. No idea what the quality is like - Chinese of course, inevitably.

Shipping is quite expensive - about $64 (I put one in the basket and requested shipping cost to the UK) - but it does weigh 2.6kg (5.7lbs) so it is a hefty beast.

Just found from a google search. There must be other manufacturers out there.

Edited by Craig Sawyers

I did the same and found that the model number is common between a few vendors.  I'm in the US so I need 115V primary.  I found one of the same on ebay that's right around $100 us shipped from hong kong.  At triple the price I'm not sure R-Core is worth is unless someone else wants to chime in that it is 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Pars said:

Doesn’t Mouser have anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just found the S10 series from switchcraft.  Rated to 11 Amps

53 minutes ago, dsavitsk said:

Very few, if any, components in a computer run off of 19V. There are doubtless myriad switchers throughout. What is the benefit of a linear supply here?

I'm using a SFF (small form factor) mini STX board.  The power requirements are 19 V DC with wattage depending on what cpu is in use.  As you said it uses a myriad of switchers throughout to split that up into the required voltages.  It's really just to see if adding a linear supply at the source would make an audible difference.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 4:39 AM, Craig Sawyers said:

Apart from its use as a PC linear supply, that is good value for a grunty supply anyway.

The thing to watch is reliability though. If one of the linear supplies goes down and the other voltages stay up, what happens? Or if one of the linear regulator series pass transistors go into second breakdown and shove raw rectified voltage up a supply line. A bit of failure mode thinking might be in order.

Both Craig and Kevin made a good point that I failed to see.  If any of the regulators let go it will send unwanted high voltage upstream.  Does anyone know if there are some crowbar circuit pcb's out there?  There's plenty of circuits I see on the web but not sure what to use.

• 8 months later...

I wound up ditching that kit I got from ebay since there was little in the way of protection if the regulators failed.  A few weeks ago Salas over at DIY audio came up with the L-Adapter board.  He tested failure in three different ways all of which ended with 0V on the output.  I got the board last week and will be ordering parts in a few weeks

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/336685-adapter.html

I should have all the parts by the end of August