19V Linear PSU for PC

sbelyo

Does that mean you only require either u1/ic2, or they can both be fitted?

You don’t like reading threads, do you?
If you had read post #21, 3 posts before yours, I think the answer is pretty clear...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

built a tap of sorts to see what my STX build draws just to make sure the transformer I have is adequately sized.  The max it pulled was 2.1 amps at 19Vdc durring a CPU stress test.  Salas says make sure you have 2x the capacity.

IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_1165.JPG

Just now, sbelyo said:

built a tap of sorts to see what my STX build draws just to make sure the transformer I have is adequately sized.  The max it pulled was 2.1 amps at 19Vdc durring a CPU stress test.  Salas says make sure you have 2x the capacity.

Pars built the Dynalo Mini in the picture

Just now, sbelyo said:

IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_1165.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/4/2018 at 4:12 AM, sbelyo said:

So I was thinking of building a linear psu for a new PC.

I came across this kit on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LPS200-Linear-Power-supply-kit-board-LPS-DC5V-9V-12V-15V-19V-24V-28V-L164-5/111964387845?hash=item1a1198fa05:m:m3fiLyO2CiBO8ZWg77rtjeQ

Anyone ever use something like this kit?  The Teradak products are really cool but pricey

I used this one: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/336685-adapter.html

My project: 

yeah, that's what I ended up going with.  Salas's stuff is great!  The first board I posted was too risky as there was nothing to prevent the full rectified voltage reaching the PSU if the regulator failed.  Salas tested his supply for failure a few different ways with no problems if the regulator failed.

18 minutes ago, bbest said:

+1 agree with you. I like his boards. I redesigned L-Adapter and UltraBib 1.3, made them more compact. Both has great specs.

That's cool!  I'd like to see those as I want to use for two other projects where space is at a premium

The PSU is finished and in place in the rack.  At day one I couldn't really hear any difference.  The second day I left it on all day then listened at night and there was a positive difference.  It's subtle but seems to get better a little each day.  It was worth the experiment per se.

16 hours ago, sbelyo said:

At day one I couldn't really hear any difference.  The second day I left it on all day then listened at night and there was a positive difference.  It's subtle but seems to get better a little each day.  It was worth the experiment per se.

Which "PC" are you powering?  I've tried quite a few different power supplies for my PC/server, and the largest difference in SQ seems to occur when better power is given to the very end of the PC signal chain.   For example, if using USB out, giving decent power to the USB card.  Giving good power to an outboard usb-to-spdif converter makes a large difference also.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2021 at 1:47 PM, Jon L said:

Which "PC" are you powering?  I've tried quite a few different power supplies for my PC/server, and the largest difference in SQ seems to occur when better power is given to the very end of the PC signal chain.   For example, if using USB out, giving decent power to the USB card.  Giving good power to an outboard usb-to-spdif converter makes a large difference also.  

It's a core i5 system built around this:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/H110M-STX/

The next step is to power My Amenero directly with 5V