CCS mod for 006t (t1 Variant )

vvega

Note that KG's boards are designed to use the ceramic insulators - you can see the thickness of the insulator outlined on the board where there are on-board heat sinks. Considering the minimal cost and the fact that they have been used on many successful builds without issues, I don't see the point in playing around with mica or silicon insulators, other than contrariiess.

Edited by JimL
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, JoaMat said:

Thank you. I’m particular interested with the insulating shoulder 7721-3PPSG as I believe this part is essential for the combo.

Yes it´s very interest. I use too ceramic insulator +7721-10PPG + steel screws, like others members and I never had have problems with this combination. 

Edit... And I'm very careful not to stain anything with thermal paste. 

Edited by jose

1 hour ago, JimL said:

Note that KG's boards are designed to...

......won’t stop us from doing all kind of crazy things.:mikey2:

52 minutes ago, jose said:

I've a secret - don't tell...  I never use thermal paste

3 hours ago, JimL said:

Note that KG's boards are designed to use the ceramic insulators - you can see the thickness of the insulator outlined on the board where there are on-board heat sinks. Considering the minimal cost and the fact that they have been used on many successful builds without issues, I don't see the point in playing around with mica or silicon insulators, other than contrariiess.

I like SPA2000-0.015-00-54 if using PEEK screws

3 hours ago, JimL said:

I don’t agree , when someone tells me on the internet that the specs are wrong on a part ... then why shouldn’t you test those specs . 

And if you have something against testing when hv is concerned well , that’s just silly.

as an engineer I spend a lot of time testing to failure because that’s how we keep opinions in check over facts . 

Fact is mica is thinner and at the same thickness has very similar thermal barrier property’s . So a thinner insulator less thermal resistance . 

Whats wrong with looking for efficiency or better design 

3 hours ago, jose said:

Yes it´s very interest. I use too ceramic insulator +7721-10PPG + steel screws, like others members and I never had have problems with this combination. 

From the testing I’ve done so far you shouldn’t have any issues with this combo .  It would seam you can use mica with synthetic fastenings or ceramic with steel . I don’t use grease in testing because .. it eventually dries out and it’s dialetric property’s change so the test wouldn’t give a result that would account for that .

im actually looking forward to trying different compounds to see how much if any extra insulative effect they give .

this is just a blog of my personal little project , if it’s upsetting people they should probably just unsubscribe .

7 minutes ago, jose said:

I don't think that you are upsetting to anyone.

JimL saying the purpose is  contrariness actually a pretty offensive thing to say to an engineer . 

Its just an adventure in building some electronics , I didn’t decide to build the circuit just to be a dick about it , 

i started doing it because I wanted better sound , 

i started testing because I made a mistake , a potentially harmful one and I’d like to not make that mistake again . 

Im still quite grateful to the fellow because it was his article that set me on this path and Kevin’s support that got me through it .

ps I’ve started acquiring parts to build a carbon ... so this should be interesting :) 

13 minutes ago, JimL said:

Sorry, didn't mean to be insulting. Carry on.

All good , if it wasn’t for the article you wrote I would still be sitting here annoyed at an amp that was sub par at best . I appreciate that you put it out there and it’s work like that that keeps diy alive and out there . 

Its appreciated I guess all I’m trying to do with the testing is show the reasons behind why you did spec the ceramic insulators in the first place .

But for me missing that detail and using silicon , something that would have failed at even 500v , I wouldn’t have damaged my amp and had to repair it. 

The testing so far has shown that a steel bolt with ceramic is good enough in fact it’s as good as a synthetic bolt and mica if not better.