Sony WM1A and microSD

CD44hi

I have a few microSD cards with DSD files that work fine in the Chord Mojo, Fiio M7 and a Cayin player. But when I put them in the 1A, it goes through building a database routine, but then does not recognize anything in the card. If I plug the card back into any of the other listed above, the music shows up as usual.

Is the Sony player different in terms of formatting? Suggestions appreciated!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can format on your computer as exfat then simply insert the card into the WM1A and then remove it.  All you have left to do is drag and drop your content to the "music" folder.  I recommend using a card reader to transfer your music due to much higher transfer speed compared to via the player.  Transfer rate via Walkman will max around 30 mb/s.

Edited by purk
  • Like 1

So got a chance to do the formatting and intro to the 1A yesterday. Thanks guys it worked as a charm. The player created the Music folder and then I just transferred the dsd files back on the pc.
I did try it with the Senn and after finding the High Gain setting, indeed the player is fully competent on these cans.
Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

6 hours ago, purk said:

Do you like it better than the Q5 sound wise?

Just the fact that the 1A can very capably power the HD800s (high gain, balanced output) is awesome, having said that, compared to the Q5/AM3B, balanced out, using 1A as transport via USB, more attack is evident as is more definition of high frequencies, separation and decay are better.

Hey purk, you have the TA-ZH1ES? Used with DSD, what is your take on it? My use would be probably using the 1A or PC as transport, balanced headphones output.

The either the balanced singlepower square wave or the grace m920 that I have been using together is/are loosing a channel(need to troubleshoot, but I do not have another balanced amp to test), so I am looking for an option. I listen almost exclusively to dsd, so it seems that the ZH1ES is a great package, but I am not sure if this amp would be up to par?

As long as you don't pay full price for the TA-ZH1ES, I think it is a great deal.  Build quality is top notch and is second to none and it comes with a remote control.  You can use it as a DAC as well as a pre-amp (though don't expect top flight performance here).  Sound wise in balanced, it is lush, warm, and bassy with excellent soundstage both width and depth.  The downside is it can be a tad soft around the edge and not able to produce the same attack and dynamics punch compared to better dynamic amp such as the GS-X MKII.  If you already have a great great DAC, you may want to wait and get Justin's new GS-1 MKII or contact Doug and buy the ECP T4.  Still, I love the TA-ZH1ES with the HD800 and I reckon that you will like it a lot with the Clear as well.  The tuning may prove too warm for the HD650 though.  I personally like it better than the Senn HDVD-800 and the Questyle DAC/amp units that I have tried.  Don't forget that this is an ES unit, so 5-year warranty comes standard.  I heard Doug T4 prototype and it was on par with the GS-X MKII for $1000 less. 

Edited by purk

Thanks purk! The price actually would be appealing in this case, so that is one consideration. Guessing it would be significantly lower than some of the other options you mention.

I will mull this over and see how it goes. From the pictures it seems super compact and the functional layout of the buttons and display very well placed.

Thanks again. : - )

It's a beautiful unit indeed.  Footprint wise, its more of a half rack size making it very desktop friendly.  Sony did a beautiful job with chassis including paint job.  It is one heavy beast and is a dream to use. Sadly, u can only listen to one output at a time and u can't use DAC out while listening to headphones.  All inputs and outputs are relay based switching.

I think you can find a slightly used unit under $1600.  And yes, the unit works well with DSD playback.

Edited by purk

• 2 weeks later...

The TA-ZH1ES is here and you were not kidding that it is heavy. Very good sounding with the HD800s. Lover the soundstage. I have not listened to other headphones yet, but the match with the Senns is very good. It is great that comes with the cable for the WM-port.

Thanks for the feedback purk!

Given that you don't need a DAC and the added functionality including the remote control...that'a great deal at the price.  You may find the attack a little soft compared to the like of SuSy Dynalo Mini, but the soundstage including image are better.  Everything  else is a toss up.  You can use a silver usb cable to tighten up the sound a little bit.  The included walkman cable is good but you can do a lot better.

Edited by purk
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Yes, I have.  The ZH1ES is a solid upgrade in term of sound quality from my WM1Z and you should see the sonic benefits on your Utopia as well John.  I found the ZH1ES to have considerably better soundstage depth and width compared to my 1Z.  The presentation on the ES amplifier is more laid back and also warmer than that of the WM1A and 1A so it should work in favor of the Utopia.  With that said, the best I have heard the Utopia was actually out of my GSX-MKI with Dynalo Plus module installed.