Mattnog!

Voltron

• 1 month later...

This looks AMAZING!  I'll need to give it a spin.

That Kirk & Sweeny is crap rum.  I've got a bottle of the 12 yr I bought long ago and then a very good friend of mine in from Maryland sadly very generously gifted me a 23-yr old bottle.  I drink a lot of rum, but this brand ain't the one...

The Flor de Cana 7-yr is a solid recommendation for this.  It's a bit on the dry side for rum but nothing wrong with that.  Don Pancho 8-yr rum is made by an old Cuban gent that's made a lot of fine rums for some very famous distilleries.  He's a bit proud of the 18-yr but the 8-yr is a sweet spot.  If you want to go high end without breaking the bank I highly recommend Zafra 21-yr rum.

I don't think I'll wait for the holidays on this recipe....I might get to it this weekend.

Cheers....

HS

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, Voltron said:

We're already behind on Mattnog 2019, but it's not too late! Nate and Stretch and Shelly and others should get off the stick and get on with the nog! I'm concocting a batch today or tomorrow. Time to break a few eggs!

Actually had a reminder in my fricken calendar and still boned starting this on time. Will plan a trip to the liquor store tomorrow.

4 hours ago, Hopstretch said:

How about you make double and I pay for half the supplies? ?

I ain't your task rabbit. And I don't have the refrigerator space. I'll come over and supervise...

Decided to go with Old Forester Mattnog, along with Vieux (old) Agricole Clement rum.

Before:4539FAD2-E680-47EB-B924-58B6D7A8CDED.thumb.jpeg.ef7b06977d507b9dd32feb29f92d9cad.jpeg

After:3DA20C36-78C3-4489-B389-4E522D181D84.thumb.jpeg.2f03df9018f5e50068c72cce6232ddad.jpeg

• Like 8

i skipped a nog batch last year and really need to get cracking if i'm going to have anything this year... i'm thinking a half batch with 7 yolks and half the amount of booze. also need to do both brandy and rum this time, i skipped on rum last batch and felt like it was missing some depth.

~5 weeks is a bit short on mellowing it out but would be good enough.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Aura said:

i skipped a nog batch last year and really need to get cracking if i'm going to have anything this year... i'm thinking a half batch with 7 yolks and half the amount of booze. also need to do both brandy and rum this time, i skipped on rum last batch and felt like it was missing some depth.

~5 weeks is a bit short on mellowing it out but would be good enough.

It will be tasty (and I definitely think rum is the real base of the nog).  Anyway: I don't necessarily agree with Kenzi Lopez-Alt on a lot of things, but he seemed to think that fresh nog is fine!

• Like 1

My girlfriend flies in to Cincinnati on Friday.  I am thinking of making a batch of this when she is here, then taking it with me when I visit her in NC for my birthday.  I have a decent cooler for my car, and then we can also drink whatever bourbon and rum is left over from the production (and Al's recipe is indeed the definitive version, and thank you for having made this thread, again).  

Goddammit Matt.