Realistic SA-10 as a headphone amp?

genewiseman

I was just wondering how this amp would work as a headphone amp. It doesn't have a headphone jack but the speakers are connected with rca plugs into rca jacks on the back of the amp. It is rated at 1.2 watts at 1000 Hz with 10% distortion. I read that it puts out .75 watts per channel with very low distortion into 8 ohm speakers. My question is how would it work to connect headphones directly to the speaker jacks with an adapter? Would any modifications need to be made? These little amps actually sound really good with small bookshelf speakers and are dirt cheap.

Thanks a lot,

Gene

PS I have asked this same question on several forums this morning. Sorry if that is frowned upon. Thanks again!

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, grawk said:

right, we get that. This probably isn't the forum you are looking for. No one was offended.

This. 

Re-posts are not engaging with us as a community. Take your time - look around the Internets and engage with the community that is appropriate for your needs. 

(and actually I think i owned one of those little amps back in the day - I powered a secondary set of speakers. I think I blew it up.)

I was just hoping to get some advice from people who are experts in this sort of thing. I am not but I generally try to ask questions to the most qualified people I can find. Apparently I should not have bothered anyone here with my question. Feel free to delete my post as I could not figure out how to delete it myself. Sorry for wasting your time.

What they said regarding community participation.
As for adding a headphone jack, you could simply wire a pair of RCA plugs to a jack (1/4” TRS). The L+ would go to the Tip contact of the jack, the R+ to the Ring contact, and the Gnd to the Sleeve. If you have room on the faceplate for the jack, wiring it internally would be a nice plus. Not sure how good it would sound, so going the cable route would probably be advised until you determine that. I would also measure the DC offset (L+ to Gnd, R+ to Gnd) before plugging any phones in. 10% distortion at 1000Hz? That is pretty awful if accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, genewiseman said:

I was just hoping to get some advice from people who are experts in this sort of thing. I am not but I generally try to ask questions to the most qualified people I can find. Apparently I should not have bothered anyone here with my question. Feel free to delete my post as I could not figure out how to delete it myself. Sorry for wasting your time.

Oh, you're looking to hire consultants?  You should have started with the rate you're looking to pay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pars said:

What they said regarding community participation.
As for adding a headphone jack, you could simply wire a pair of RCA plugs to a jack (1/4” TRS). The L+ would go to the Tip contact of the jack, the R+ to the Ring contact, and the Gnd to the Sleeve. If you have room on the faceplate for the jack, wiring it internally would be a nice plus. Not sure how good it would sound, so going the cable route would probably be advised until you determine that. I would also measure the DC offset (L+ to Gnd, R+ to Gnd) before plugging any phones in. 10% distortion at 1000Hz? That is pretty awful if accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

definitely check the offset on that thing.  Not sure how good this would sound

probably need to do something like this

http://www.dms-audio.com/power-amp-heaadphone-adapter

11 minutes ago, grawk said:

Oh, you're looking to hire consultants?  You should have started with the rate you're looking to pay.

I'll work for a bag a chips and a cold beer

4 hours ago, sbelyo said:

definitely check the offset on that thing.  Not sure how good this would sound

probably need to do something like this

http://www.dms-audio.com/power-amp-heaadphone-adapter

I'll work for a bag a chips and a cold beer

sbelyo I really appreciate your help. Your link was just the information that I was looking for. I am knowledgeable about a few things but electronics is an area where I struggle. Thank you for your help! If you are ever in NE Oklahoma I will have chips and beer waiting.

Thanks again!

Gene