HiWire

MQA-CD (oh no, not again)

Found this Techmoan video on MQA-CD when I was checking out Meiko's latest album from Chesky Records, Playing Favorites:

I'm going to sit this one out for a while. It seems to be a Japan-only phenomenon for a while, and there are no mainstream players.

Edited by HiWire

Yes, I've been reading about MQA since the hype train left the station, but it seems to be a controversial format (there could be licensing issues I'm not aware of).

I have trouble understanding the technology, for all the claims that have been made. The number of manufacturers that have decided against implementing MQA is also a matter of concern.

http://bobtalks.co.uk/blog/mqaplayback/origami-and-the-last-mile/

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/mqa-time-domain-accuracy-digital-audio-quality

Edited by HiWire

Try re-reading Archimago's stuff again.

From a data encoding perspective it claims offer more hi-res-ness than could fit a standard-res container . HDCD 2.0 if you will.

But given that we can now stream 96/24 FLAC ( or above)  - with much less processing overhead - and we can support the bandwith ( netflix can stream 4K / UHD) at much higher data rates, 

what problem is it we are exactly trying to solve. Especially for extant works ( not those that are yet to be recorded and mixed).

Some (cynics? / realists?) argue that it's yet another licensing cash grab from those  who's patents are due to / have expired.

CfdwiB6WAAEiHzW.jpg

Edited by Grahame
  • Like 1

Some interesting reading (didn't read all of it though). Bruno Putzeys knows his shit. MQA seems to be a farce.