Hifiman Jade II

spritzer

HF moderators have deleted and edited some of the posts after they were up for a while (and will likely react faster now that that thread is on their radar), but, as far as I can tell, have left all substantive technical discussion intact. Silence from the hifiman rep — which is smart: if he can't win, he should ignore the discussion until it's forgotten. Though he might just be taking the weekend off. Really curious to see where this goes.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 6:22 PM, Pars said:

Well, I feel the ban stick coming. Posted on HF regarding the FCC Part 15 not being applicable. Also called jamato8 out as a known shill from years ago...

I actually tried to get banned over there Pars. Even called John Amatto a Gaslighting Audio Whore. They just deleted both of our back and forth posts with a warning. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Other than laughing at his badly made crap for years, nope.  I was the first one to take the original Jade apart and reveal the crap it was but that hardly counts as it was over a decade ago.  Funny enough, the cable used on the original Jade is superior to the one they use now, gotta love "progress". 

• Like 1

The srm-001 is an opamp driving a fet that drives a transistor (cascode) into a load resistor and is cap coupled to the output. (cascode differential)

The jade2 is an opamp driving a transistor that drives a mosfet (cascode) into a load resistor and is cap coupled to the output. The calculation of output capacitance is flat out wrong as the middle of the cascode is AC ground. (cascode differential)

Just about identical. Obviously the jade2 consumes a bunch more power and puts out a bunch more power.

I own 2 hifiman products. Both are built like shit. I'm unlikely to buy hifiman products ever again.

stxp.gif

Edited by kevin gilmore
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, GeorgeP said:

Only thing I learned from Fang's latest post is that a bicycle is not a train...

Something lost in the translation to Chinglish? ?

I learned that Fang is either a retard or deliberately trying to con his customers by using an Ohmmeter to “measure” the DC resistance of a transformer with 1000VDC across it. All in an apparent attempt to negate/quantify transformer AC leakage impedance/reactance current that shocked the YouTube video guy. Naturally, the VOM’s overvoltage protection kicks in and an “infinite resistance” is displayed. Just as intended? 

You don’t need to be Penn and Teller to spot that slight of hand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Laowei said:

Something lost in the translation to Chinglish? ?

I don't think so. He actually has a picture of a train and a picture of a bicycle side-by-side, and then goes on to state that they are not the same thing. I found that illustration particularly compelling. Though I think he might have had the arrows from the amplifiers pointing the wrong way...

Edited by GeorgeP
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, GeorgeP said:

Only thing I learned from Fang's latest post is that a bicycle is not a train...

21 hours ago, HIFIMANOfficial said:

lol.

Hifiman bicycle Jade 1

image.png.cdcff0e82ccd8446a775018030a7c806.png

Hifiman bicycle Jade 2

image.png.f18e8a7071b15e51d198d14671225892.png

Hifiman train Jade 1

image.thumb.png.b6a69e2092a9d0a7917fa7a0805f8a54.png

Hifiman train Jade 2

image.png.bc53b8289e77dba31100e2979c2b3917.png

• Haha 3

Yes, I think that was the first one.  I can't find the schematic with a quick search but it should be here somewhere.  Then we had the SRM-1 Mk2 first version in 1982 but in reality, most of that improvement had already been done to the later SRM-1 amps.  It's fun to open those up... you never know what you are going to find. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/9/2019 at 12:34 AM, kevin gilmore said:

I own 2 hifiman products. Both are built like shit. I'm unlikely to buy hifiman products ever again.

Me too. Hifiman stuffs are probably the worst thing I have ever bought in this hobby. Never again. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I drive the headphones Jade II  with the little D10 since the beginning and I like the couple. Sounds slightly different from the L300, with some recordings I prefer the Jade, e.g. classical and some jazz, with the majority of other recordings  and music such as Rock prog prefer the L300, especially when drilling trebles are  in the record (cymbals and trumpets can hurt badly).

Then I bought the Hifiman amp because I was curious, it sounds quite different from the D10, has much less extension upper and lower, maybe is made this way in order to tame the highs, however I don't like it even with poor recordings, adds a sort of middle bass that annoys me, D10 is more trasparent, for me here: the 'smaller' the 'better' :lol:

It is in line with other HFM amplifiers I heard, nothing special and dims even its own headphones, Jade II can sound better with a competent amplifier, about the quality, based on my experiences with previous Hifiman cans I'm not expecting they last many months, will see.

142946 (1).jpg

• 1 month later...

So, a used HiFiMan Jade II amp in excellent condition (according to the seller) just went for $633 Canadian (approx $480 US) plus shipping on eBay. Given its list price as best I can determine from an internet search is $1599, the value is really holding up (NOT). 

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 5:41 AM, spritzer said:

Yeah, I'd go for that as well, hell even the Massdrop ESP950 at 500$ is better than this shit. 

Also bonus bit, there were holes in one of the dust covers.  Yeah...pure quality.  I just quickly patched them up with some tape until I have time to replace it. 

Also there was a small port on the cable entry which I plugged.  There are also holes next to the swivel axis so I plugged those too.  A small improvement to the bass or it was due to the cable... not sure.  Need to do more testing

Yeap I reviewed this unit and came to the same conclusion my self... such a shame given how pretty the headphone is but oh well!

• 2 years later...
On 4/8/2019 at 1:34 PM, kevin gilmore said:

The srm-001 is an opamp driving a fet that drives a transistor (cascode) into a load resistor and is cap coupled to the output. (cascode differential)

The jade2 is an opamp driving a transistor that drives a mosfet (cascode) into a load resistor and is cap coupled to the output. The calculation of output capacitance is flat out wrong as the middle of the cascode is AC ground. (cascode differential)

Just about identical. Obviously the jade2 consumes a bunch more power and puts out a bunch more power.

stxp.gif

https://eldfall-chronicles.com/ which is smart: if he can't win, he should ignore the discussion until it's forgotten like https://nexthash.com/ 

Though he might just be taking the weekend off. Really curious to see where this goes.