Tidal v. Qobuz?

blessingx

Qobuz streaming officially came to the US on Valentine's Day. Anyone else giving the 30 day free trial a try? Like the background text info on releases, etc., though that can get in the way as a player occasionally. Seems to have more releases per artist, though some major artists missing in comparison in Tidal, though that could be simply my preferences. Handles high resolution (24/96-24/192) differently (no MQA). Seems to dislike using the word "album." ;) 

For classical and contemporary jazz Qobuz have more assortment and don't dare call the damn MQA master quality, they just don't have it. Tidal recommendations algorithm seems to be better centered, but it doesn't work when playing with Audirvana. Overall I think I like Qobuz better, but none has all the music that at times I'm looking for.

• 3 weeks later...

I subscribe to Apple Music through the college sub, and I have the hifi sub  to Tidal. I love Tidal, snake oil or no. High Rez is something I've double-blinded (if you knew me, TMoney, you would know about my double-blind experiments; it's a big part of what Head-Case was founded on), and it is demonstrably better. It may just be the mastering, but better mastering in high res is better than worse mastering in not.  No?

Edited by EdipisReks1

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly, I unsubscribed from Qobuz today. I really did prefer their UI and the mini-Roon-like info. At best Tidal learning algorithm is the worst, but I suspect its more I'm fighting with its alternative motive recommended artists [young/hip/new/popular]. There's nothing about my listening habits that would suggest half the recommended artists high on Tidal's landing page. They've taught me "artist-owned" has its disadvantages. But.... I searched for three artists this morning - Brooke Annibale, Julie Byrne, and Molly Burch and Qobuz only had one. This unfortunately happens often. If they expand their selection during the remaining time of my trial (4/20) I'll come back, because Qobuz really does seem like the adult Tidal.

I suspect I'm a little different than some HCers that I gave up listening to local, non-vinyl, music four or so years back. It's been all streaming since. 

2 hours ago, blessingx said:

Sadly, I unsubscribed from Qobuz today. I really did prefer their UI and the mini-Roon-like info. At best Tidal learning algorithm is the worst, but I suspect its more I'm fighting with its alternative motive recommended artists [young/hip/new/popular]. There's nothing about my listening habits that would suggest half the recommended artists high on Tidal's landing page. They've taught me "artist-owned" has its disadvantages. But.... I searched for three artists this morning - Brooke Annibale, Julie Byrne, and Molly Burch and Qobuz only had one. This unfortunately happens often. If they expand their selection during the remaining time of my trial (4/20) I'll come back, because Qobuz really does seem like the adult Tidal.

I suspect I'm a little different than some HCers that I gave up listening to local, non-vinyl, music four or so years back. It's been all streaming since. 

I don’t even bother with the recommendations.  I think you’re spot on regarding ulterior motives.  They don’t match my tastes neither, which, admittedly, range from Stretch-found pop to classical to Gojira to instrumental downbeat by way of Knucks’ Test Tone to...whim, actually.  But still, nothing to indicate any interest in what they’re flaunting.

And yeah, I’m 90% Tidal these days.  Also, Mixlr, YouTube, Bandcamp and progstreaming.

I don't use the front screen recommendations but I do use the "track radio" feature all the time. I've found a lot of stuff through track radio that I ended up really liking and would have never found otherwise.

Listening to music via physical media? LOL

• 3 weeks later...

I had both Tidal and Qobuz and recently dropped Tidal. No use for MQA and there is plenty of 24/96 and 24/192 content on Qobuz. One downside to Qobuz is they still have a slightly buggy UI while Tidal is trouble free. I sorted that by buying the Audirvana+ player which works just fine with either Tidal or Qobuz and also lets you use VST plugins and upsampling.

• 6 months later...

I have both at the moment but I tend to use Qobuz more.  Only really use them through the Sonos interface so not really any difference in interface for me, Qobuz just always shows up first on my search results and there are more playlists coming into Qobuz that I would listen to compared to all the Beyoncé shit on Tidal.

What I never use is my lifetime subscription to Roon as it is on a NAS now and terribly unreliable.  Need to move it all to a workstation as I remember liking it more then the Sonos app for controlling the house audio. 

Meanwhile ...

Get some headphones you weren't thinking of getting, for less, with Tidal.

https://try.tidal.com/sennheiser-hifi

or more HC / Pro

https://try.tidal.com/sennheiser-premium

Via: 

https://slickdeals.net/f/13517794-purchase-tidal-annual-plan-and-get-a-free-pair-of-sennheiser-hd-4-40bt-headphones-120

Brent must be slacking ...

• Like 1