Home spin bikes

EdipisReks1

So, I want to get a spin bike for home, after having done some spinning at gyms.  Obviously I want the Peloton, but I just can't bring myself to spend the money, for some reason. Does anybody have one of the knock-off bikes?  I'm strongly considering one of these.  I don't think I'll mind a simple knob for resistance adjustment. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

I have switched to this:

Sunny Health & Fitness Asuna 5100 Magnetic Belt Drive Commercial Indoor Cycling Bike Silver https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0172EEHXC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_VGFDCbXFQMFMP

Plus pedal power meters to do Peloton and Zwift. We absolutely love it. Let's us move back and forth between my wife and I in about a minute but still rides great. Super quiet. 

10 hours ago, VPI said:

I use a Wahoo powered trainer and Zwift, which a lot of HCers also use, as my much more useful spin bike.  I obviously need to be using it a lot more than I am, which anyone on Zwift can tell you.

Zwift username? 

Edited by Dreadhead
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Dreadhead said:

I have switched to this:

Sunny Health & Fitness Asuna 5100 Magnetic Belt Drive Commercial Indoor Cycling Bike Silver https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0172EEHXC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_VGFDCbXFQMFMP

Plus pedal power meters to do Peloton and Zwift. We absolutely love it. Let's us move back and forth between my wife and I in about a minute but still rides great. Super quiet. 

Zwift username? 

Think it's worth double the price of the one I linked?

1 hour ago, Aura said:

I've had an Airdyne; it's not really quite the same workout...

2 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

What a nice present!

Does it comes with the woman? :P

Fortunately not; she looks high maintenance.

A funny thing is how she chose that particular bike.  I had told her that I wanted to get a spin bike.  She called Amazon (on the phone!), asked to talk to an exercise expert, and that is the one that was suggested as being the best bang for buck.

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MexicanDragon said:

They're based out of Seattle. Why don't you hop out, we'll go for a test ride and then catch a Mariner's debacle game?

That would be fantastic. Loved Seattle on my one brief visit there.

My friend in Tampa (who is the manager of the RV storage place that I've been basing out of with my motorhome for years) has one and loves it. He's in his early 60s and not as terribly out of shape as many people past 50 are, but has had serious issues with his legs as a result of a work accident a couple of years ago. So he uses the assist on hills and just when he's not feeling as motivated. Rides 4 miles per day and gets a little moist (where's Steve?) but not dripping in sweat. Feels good about just getting out there and doing something for himself and not having to get off his bike to make it up hills.

Reading the reviews, seems like a bike that a lot of people in their 50s-70s are enjoying after they are effectively past the age/shape when they would realistically go out and ride a normal bike on a regular basis.

• Like 2

I know there is a lot of e-bike hate by a lot of cyclists, but I have some friends in Chatt who run an e-bike shop. I've gotten to ride some, and I love it. I want one. There's no way I can keep up with Xavier on a mountain bike anymore, and I used to have to sandbag on the road with him, but now? No chance. I've thought about an e-bike for an 11 mile work commute as well; seems to be a fantastic way of going about things, but adds 1.5 hours minimum to the commute. Not in the budget to do it just yet, but it's a consideration at some point. RadPower usually has a "buy 2 get a discount" thing, if you knew anyone else wanting one. But, we barely had any snow this week, and eventually it'll be sunny and baseball will be played, so let's make it happen.

16 hours ago, MexicanDragon said:

But, we barely had any snow this week, and eventually it'll be sunny and baseball will be played, so let's make it happen.

Ya, for sure. That would be fun. I can't believe your kids won't just quit growing and changing, and just stay the way they are! 

As for the cyclists hating the old fart out of shape e-bike pretenders... well they can all go fuck themselves. Hope they're lucky enough to get old and fat too. It's not as bad as people make it out to be.

• Like 2