Kaldas Research

ktm

• 3 months later...

I did pick one of these up....unfortunately have not had SO much time to listen, but first impressions and maybe 10-15 hours worth are good.  Great bass, soundstage, and top to bottom balance.  Some musicality/transparency I still like a little bit better with SR-007 Mk II, but this is no slouch at all!

My complaints were that the workmanship can be improved.  Mine came with several marks or imperfections on the metal portions of the headband and related, and one ugly mark on one of the earcups.

For the $, though....it is REALLY nice!

Edited by skullguise
  • Thanks 1

Premium has a longer cord and supposedly better packaging.  It IS a nice wood box with acrylic top and a badge.  I got that because I had the $ to spend and it was the only one in stock.  They claimed the scratch in the earcup was likely from shipping, but not sure....it looked like it was well-protected, at least that spot....and it didn't quite line up with anything that looked like it would scratch it.

Some pics of my nicks and such below.

kaldas-1.jpg

kaldas-2.jpg

kaldas-3.jpg

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, skullguise said:

...I think that the more I listen, the less I'll be bothered by the imperfections/issues.

I´m glad skullguise

I wouldn't like to offend anyone with what I'm going to say.  I don´t doubt that it sound good and their price is quite "affordable" but... For less than that, we would be quite rude to other (included Stax).

I´ll think about it for a few days. Maybe they have stock of the premium version again. 

Yes, those imperfections of the Aluminium on Todd's headband is indeed correct.

There is a story behind it though, mid-way in our production our Anodizing guy decided to go rogue. The finished parts weren't dark enough and for some reason he was not able to rectify it. 
We were left with some inventory that was fair but far from perfect and as a small Manufacturer, we couldn't afford to scrap it. Eventually, we did find a reliable Anodizing company and have been working with them since December albeit, they are interesting to deal with as well. 

This leads me to believe either there is some money to be made in the Anodizing industry or the entire industry has undercut itself beyond sustainability. 

Furthermore, we made some changes to our tool-paths as well and have added an additional facing operation on all sides to improve the surface finish without needing additional processes like brushing or sand-blasting. This may seem like something to do since the beginning but since we don't have a 5-Axis that we own, it adds more machining time and lowers our output even more. Every single part is made in-house. 

DSC01454.thumb.jpg.7775058188a91bf75e491f0488e5245a.jpgDSC01455.thumb.jpg.d9df971220925ee089f5d6c284e3f781.jpgDSC01457.thumb.jpg.6603e1103b58edb8e6f253e302809dee.jpg

We also have transitioned from 3D Printed Earcups to full Injection Earcups. Again, to improve our production rates so we can focus on things that are more delicate and intolerant. 

Anyway, I do take the responsibility but just wanted to share why. With vertical integration although QC is in our hands, it is challenging to be this stringent at this price point especially when you are running out of Capital. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, jose said:

Thanks Aumkar. I´m glad to know that you are aware of all the details of the manufacture of your product. Good point.

Could you give us an estimate on the availability of the premium version?

Jose, around one more week. 

@morphsci @JoaMat Not to burst your bubble but DHL is too optimistic, custom clearance causes around 2 days of delay in most cases. 

11 hours ago, Aumkar Chandan said:

@morphsci @JoaMat Not to burst your bubble but DHL is too optimistic, custom clearance causes around 2 days of delay in most cases. 

The impressive service was referring to you not DHL as I have experienced DHL before. I wasn't expecting their estimate to be anywhere near accurate.

Now I’ve listened to the RR 1 headphones for a couple of days and I still take vitamins from the left cabinet.

Suddenly the right side begin to play very low, which gave me a good reason to disassemble the headphone. It turned out that the wire to front stator was loose. Wires are connected to stators and diaphragm by running M2 bolts through holes in the driver unit and with wire simply put in their respective hole with its bolt.
339141934_IMG_0262(2).thumb.JPG.43e752e2df65694c147f8c1a05138b76.JPG

As some of you maybe know I dislike things like terminal blocks and want wires to be soldered direct in place. So now wires are soldered in place with solder lugs and I’m happy again.
156470122_IMG_0261(3).thumb.JPG.6a629e87110b7de87eaa5cb5f9893aa9.JPG

Edited by JoaMat
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Interesting, not sure how the bolt would come loose.

Stators are now laser-cut Brass, you can directly solder onto them if you like. The front Stator connection might be challenging due to packaging reasons but it is workable if you want to solder it and not use our bolt method.

Furthermore, every part of the Driver is serviceable because it’s all bolted and no glue is used. Spacer is Aluminium though. 

Edited by Aumkar Chandan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The bolt was OK, the wire though was broken. Maybe the bolt damage the wire when it was tightened.

Anyhow I got the opportunity to see how the RR 1 is built. I also disassembled the driver unit. Spacers seem to be about 1.3 mm thick and the sound when knocking the diaphragm it sounded about right:D. And yes, everything is easily accessible, except the pads maybe.

Bottom line: I like the design.

P.S.
As the original pads were removed I took a pair of 007 pads
IMG_0264.thumb.JPG.054099900ce6bdf516d2f1aeba6181d8.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1