Persona 5 is awesome

HiWire

I just started playing Persona 5 and it is incredible. You don't get a lot of games with this level of style, deep storytelling, and variety.

Persona 4 also had a killer soundtrack and I'd say this is one of the best reasons to get a Playstation. The only weakness of the games is their linear design and the slight repetition of the battles. In a way, I think the Persona games tell you more about modern Japan than Sega's Yakuza games (which are also legendary).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've played it as well and agree wholeheartedly. The soundtrack is one of the best in gaming in the past few years. I had a ton of fun with the story and the characters even though Japanese RPGs usually aren't my thing.

I actively disliked the dungeons but everything else in the game was so well done I slogged through them.

• Like 1

Yes, I find the dungeons and battles repetitive too. I don't know if "grind" is built into the JRPG psyche – a lot of the other activities are similar (building your stats by exercising, reading books, increasing "guts", etc.) – their commitment to consistent self-improvement is admirable, but it pads the game unnecessarily.

I haven't finished Persona 4, which I started years ago on the PlayStation 2. I looked into the OVA animation (there were two anime series based on Persona 4) yesterday, but I lost interest when I found out they changed some of the voice actors. I'd rather go back and finish the game instead of passively watching the shows.

It turns out you can get the soundtracks on CD so I might look into those.

• Like 1