Music Making

Dusty Chalk

26 minutes ago, Dusty Chalk said:

I want to hates it because it’s Behringer, but I have to admit it sounds pretty good.

Yeah, Behringer have really upped their game in a lot of ways since buying Midas. Most sound techs buying new gear these days seem to be going for the X line of digital mixers, for example.

And the fact that they're squandering some of their massive wealth to produce analog synths and drum machines for a very niche market, just because their CEO loves them, is definitely something I can get behind.

Edited by acidbasement

Some folks are saying it has something to do with their 60 year celebrations but it seems like they're aiming for a couple of levels up.

I've used a few of their X mixers/controllers and wasn't super impressed (not on the level of eucon/Avid and even some of the PreSonus stuff).

But the Wing looks like a pro level FOH mixer.

• Like 1

Here's a little something to feed our Imposter Syndromes.

Writers Retreat Gives Aspiring Novelists Opportunity To Receive Critical Feedback From Other Nobodies

GLEN FALLS, NY—Revealing that her lousy peers’ advice had been invaluable, aspiring novelist Alicia Duncan confirmed Tuesday that the writer’s retreat she’s attending provides a great opportunity to receive critical feedback from other nobodies. “It’s been incredible to spend the week getting diverse perspectives on my memoir from a bunch of fresh MFA graduates and bored retirees, none of whom have ever been published,” said Duncan, adding that she enjoyed attending daily workshops about how to get a literary agent taught by a college professor whose only published book is about how to get a literary agent. “The $1,500 tuition is pretty steep, but it’s worth it for all the networking I’ve been able to do with people who have no industry connections and cannot help me. Every day we read our work aloud and take turns talking out our asses before sitting in on lectures from people who have barely sold 10,000 copies in their whole careers. They helped me figure out how to make my characters more two-dimensional and the best way to build out my story arc so it’s more convoluted.” Duncan added that she was eager to take all the inane, toothless critiques she’d received and turn them into something unreadable.

https://www.theonion.com/writers-retreat-gives-aspiring-novelists-opportunity-to-1840480239

• Haha 1

Thanks for your thoughts!

Yes, exactly.  The evolution of the sound was supposed to be at an almost subconscious level.

I'm trying to decide on a playing order.  I'm thinking

Oily Nuke Oath II
Astral Schism I
Rictus Lingering
Astral Schism II

...but I can't decide.

EDIT:  Now it's Astral Schism I/Oily Nuke Oath II/Astral Schism II/Rictus Lingering

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 11:02 PM, acidbasement said:

...give it my full attention...

Yeah, well, good luck with that (you’ll understand when you hear it).  :) 

The order is now Astral Schism I/...

oh shit, I forget already...:P

Edit: order is now final:  Oily Nuke Oath II/Astral Schism I/Astral Schism II/Rictus Lingering 

Uploads, on the other hand, are not, there will probably be one more.

• Like 1

Proof that there are plenty of ways to earn a living as a musician left (particularly if you play a large 10th century instrument).

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/dec/31/carlos-ghosn-escaped-japan-hiding-in-a-musical-instrument-case

Carlos Ghosn reportedly fled house arrest in Japan in a musical instrument case, in an audacious Hollywood movie-style escape masterminded by his wife with the assistance of a Gregorian music band and a team of ex-special forces officers.

The escape began when the band arrived at his home in Tokyo, where Ghosn has been held under house arrest and strict police surveillance, according to Lebanese TV news channel MTV. At the end of the performance, as the musicians packed up their instruments, Ghosn – whose height is stated at 1.7m, or just under 5ft 6in, in his Wikipedia entry – apparently slipped into one of the larger cases and was taken to a small local airport.

• Like 2

Ok, still not strictly music, but I am having waaaaaaaaaaay too much fun with the TD-3. I wanted to try my hand at some stinky oldskool jungle on the Digitakt and the TD-3. Guess who bit off more than they could chew? The DT is very realtime, so keeping up with 170 bpm with the knob-twiddling and button mashing was challenging.  The result isn't really music per se, but it's loud and angry and was fun as hell to do:

I apologise to anyone who needs therapy as a result.

Edited by Kattefjaes
  • Like 3

On 1/7/2020 at 11:31 AM, Dusty Chalk said:

If I was into hardware synths, I'd be drooling over that one (watched some cool sounding reviews).

A guy I know picked up one of the new(ish) Novation Summits and he loves it (and he's got a big selection of analog and modulars in his shed). 

This would be a great year to go to NAMM!

• Like 1

Yes, the Deluge looks great too. The 3.0 firmware updates look pretty cool.

They seem to do similar things differently – I'm looking at the heavy-duty MPC units out of curiosity – the MPC Live, MPC X, and also the Force.

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 2

IMHO Superbooth has taken the world by storm.

I've been trying to figure out a way to get over there to attend one (and an F1 race maybe).

If you haven't watched one of the endless SonicState videos from last year, here's a good one with a Richard Devine interview. 

He's using one of the Polyend sequencers that are pretty popular (and a butt load of other goodies).

Edited by ironbut
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...