Music Making

Dusty Chalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 10:04 AM, acidbasement said:

Yeah, Behringer have really upped their game in a lot of ways since buying Midas. Most sound techs buying new gear these days seem to be going for the X line of digital mixers, for example.

And the fact that they're squandering some of their massive wealth to produce analog synths and drum machines for a very niche market, just because their CEO loves them, is definitely something I can get behind.

I don't appreciate the bullying they do online. I remember reading about a month ago an article on musicradar about some controversy about the wasp clone behringer was making. There was a modder who was in talks with Behringer about including his mods on the Behringer wasp clone. Talks fell through, nothing came of it, but Behringer still included the mods in their clone. They had ended with "we have asked Behringer to comment", I look for that article now, it has disappeared. This is another reference to it - https://www.gearslutz.com/board/the-moan-zone/1293160-behringer-td-3-wasp-designs-stolen.html

• 4 weeks later...

If you're isolated by choice or by mandate, you might be in search of a low latency, high quality way to collaborate, or mix/master remotely, this is the best I've heard of (so far).

BTW, Ian Sheppard has been a trusted online audio pro for years (I took his online mastering course a while back) and his Production Advice site has a wealth of (non hyped) info.

Edit- Don't expect to be able to "jam live" over the internet. There is too much latency for that IMHO.

Edited by ironbut
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, ironbut said:

Sounds great!!!

You might do some serious mixing before tracking the vocals again.

Thanks!

Yeah, if I end up trying to nail a really good version of it, I'll make individual stems of all the instruments and put them in Reaper or something. And maybe find someone who is better at singing 😛

• 1 month later...

I think I'm gonna stare at the void awhile longer and save some more Wilfreds. I keep flip-flopping on what kind of thing I even want. Elektron's samplers intrigue me, so do their FM synths, and Arturia have nice drum machines and the Microfreak. Or for the price of one of those, I could get a couple Volcas and an NTS-1. Then there's the Poly-D.

Probably best to sit on my money and play the synths I already have for awhile.

Edited by acidbasement
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, acidbasement said:

I'm torn on this one. I hate what a douche-canoe Uli is being and I probably won't buy anything of his though.

It’s not just the douchiness, I recently read a story that the quality control is circumspect, and their customer support is for shit, and it makes sense.  They’re cheap for a reason, they cut corners.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dusty Chalk said:

It’s not just the douchiness, I recently read a story that the quality control is circumspect, and their customer support is for shit, and it makes sense.  They’re cheap for a reason, they cut corners.

Yeah, that's always been their reputation, though it's improved in recent years. I bought one of their mixers around 17 years ago and it still works great. I have powered studio monitors of theirs from the same era and they're also decent, though I had to replace a cap that blew up at one point. 

Behringer's been making fantastic products for years.  And a mini Moog for $250 is a no brainer.  I bought one of the first batch, it's a blast.  

Certainly Behringer is more reliable than Mackie or Arturia these days.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1