Music Making

Dusty Chalk

Dan's questions are great.

The bottom line depends a lot on the situation.

Do the players "know" what they are looking for? In other words, do they have experience in a studio/recording environment. If so, like Sherwood said, you should listen to what they want.

The classes I took on recording were great. 

We'd take a instrument like drums, and the teacher would show us a couple of well known mic set ups (and mic choices for each position) and talk about where each mic type might be placed. Then we would listen to what that sounds like, move each mic around, then switch mics and then switch drummers. 

After that class we'd book studio time and meet in small groups and experiment with that instrument group.

We did that for each instrument type.

After that we booked talent and studio time and recorded a complete song.

We also used a pretty good book.

The Recording Engineer's Handbook by Bobby Owsinski 

Amazon's got it on Kindle.

That class was a great experience and it taught me how much is trial and error until you've put in your time.

And always use your ears!

• Like 2

They play a lot of live music, but are definitely not a recording band and this is just a small part of the band performing an impromptu concert on the island. Regardless of what I manage to record, it is more a learning experience than anything else.

24 minutes ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Wouldn’t it be the same?  Just a mic in front of the cone and then fine tune it to taste?  (Some prefer on-axis, some prefer off-)

No I mean I do not know how they would add their vocal mic to a guitar amp.

Yeah, I think I will pass on that monster.  

Think my setup will now be SM57s on the amps and Lauten LA120s on a stereo bar out front in ORTF config.  Just to play with both types of recording and mixing a nice soundstage.  

Got the textbook.  I like that it starts from the very basic.  He seems to like small condenser more than large condenser mics.

Edited by VPI

Got the rest of the information for the recording this weekend.  Three guys, all with mic and acoustic connected to their own amp.  I can record line out from each amp for the easiest setup.  Orrrr, I could record line out plus throw mics on the amps annndd a Neumann U87 in Omni at my recording position in front of the band.  Probably just too many things for me to screw up.

More difficult than I imagined.  Three very different acoustic amps, only one of which had a line out, so I ended up recording with my contraption mic around 8 feet back and one line out feed from the lead guitarist.  All outside on the island, while major construction was taking place on a rock wall behind the beach.  Vocals suck but I think the guitars are okay.

Edited by VPI
  • Like 3

I have some sweets coming my way next week too!!!

You should give those Indiana boys a call. 

That or contact UAD direct.

Super nice guys over there in Scotts Valley. 

Universal is a small shop with just a few guys outside of the assembly area. 

They have one of the most awesome collections of vintage gear since they need the real thing to model most of their plugins.

A gorgeous Live Room for recording and testing too (they make some killer empanadas too!).

Got to spend the evening there on an AES event.

This video was shot there about the same time I visited.

• Thanks 1

They also seem to have a problem with putting you on hold for extended times and then just randomly hanging up on you.  Been trying for almost 30 mins and have yet to get to a person.  Maybe they have grown too big for their mom and pop shop format?

18 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Sounds right.  Did they send you Bit-O-Honey, too?

I bought some rack rails for my Parasound Z rack I made, and found a Bit-O-Honey in there. Forgot how much I liked them. I haven't been much of a candy guy since my early twenties, but I really enjoyed it and the memories it unleashed.