Music Making

Dusty Chalk

On 10/9/2020 at 5:31 PM, Dusty Chalk said:

Alright I’m not the biggest Behringer fan, but I thought I’d share this with those of you who are:

No, Behringer are deeply dubious, as are most of their wares. However, I decided that I would throw any pretense of principles away for a cheap 303 clone and (slippery slopes being what they are) had to get the 606 clone to keep it company.

It's actually reasonable- I don't think the hats are totally accurate, but I don't have a real 606 handy to compare with.

I took it for a quick spin with the modular:

(Used the RD-6's onboard distortion, but ran the kick through a wave folder and low pass filter)

Edited by Kattefjaes
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Contemplating ordering a Studiodesk Beat Desk for my office desk. Do any of you guys have any experience with these?

Seems like it will work well for my minimal need for rack space and will fit the Arturia perfectly, as they use it in their product pics. 

• Like 1

Got the Steven Slate VSX headphones in.  Super cheap feeling and has I have no form of reference I have to assume the studios are correct, but it seems gimmicky as hell to me.  Flat Headphones mode sounds okay, but they are fairly uncomfortable.

1 minute ago, ironbut said:

Sounds cool but the video is choking at 42 sec.

Maybe a HC server issue,..

Nah, I cut it off at 42 seconds. The arp was way hotter in the recording than it was in my monitor mix somehow, so as I opened up the filter it got unlistenable in the recording. 

I'm gonna write words, arrange it, and record the whole thing by end of month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got the new stands setup and the Barefoots off of the wobbly desktop stands. Still have none of the treatment in, or any notification of when it might come as GIK seems to not like answering the phone/e-mails.

Even in the bad room, with a glass wall behind them they sound pretty fantastic. 

Then I used Sonarworks Reference 4 to treat the room and the sound is pretty great when playing back Qobuz using Sonarworks Systemwide. 

BE04A7E0-2236-4F61-99EE-8BB59EFABB66.jpeg

• Like 3

Here's a pretty good deal for those who longed to buy one of the ARP 2600 reissues but couldn't justify the cash.

I'm usually an advocate for not cluttering my app/plugin folders with cheap/free stuff that you use a few times and forget but this seems like a standout.

on sale for $25 bucks,.. how could I resist!

https://cherryaudio.com/instruments/ca2600

• Like 1

The track has a lot of forward momentum, I enjoyed it.

I agree about the hard-panned perc, but sounds like you do too @acidbasement. The breakdown with the bloops lost me a tiny bit, but that might be a matter of taste.

I like the way you got the wishy-washy middy synthwave sound nailed, that sounds lovely- though being unsubtle, I'd be wanting to punch various stuff up. It's a good job it's you at the controls of the mix, not me.

Meanwhile, I continue to eschew all signs of melodic progression and make weird noise. I think there's something wrong with me. This is today's stereo-straight-from-the-modular single take. No editing barring some gentle mastering and fading ends. It was actually loads of fun to do.

Edited by Kattefjaes
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, acidbasement said:

Yeah, I'm going to dial back the crash cymbals and the DFAM a bit when I make the final version.

Thanks!

Getting the mixing right is not the easiest thing in the world!

As they say, mixing is about hundreds of little things that sound inconsequential by themselves but add up to big differences. 

Here's a pretty good video on OH mixing.

I'm terrible at letting percussion take over my compositions so I know from first hand experience!

• Like 1