Integrated Amp Recommendation?

Dreadhead

My Linn Classik appears to have died and is throwing an error code (might try to get it fixed but Linn no longer fixes, likely a bunch of failed capacitors). I would love a direct replacement with tuner, cd and amplifier but honestly we don't listen to the radio anymore and I have sources for everything else. The only think that has all that is the Denon CEOL RCD-N10. 

Looking around it seems like the Yamaha Integrated amps are my usual "wire with gain" type of thing so I was looking at the Yamaha A-S801BL. There is also an interesting NAD device but their software might have issues and not sure of sound. 

Any recommendations or experiences?

Thanks for the feedback. I'll make up my mind shortly but probably go with the Yamaha. I had one paired with B&Ws a while back and loved it at the time.

Still looking at Marantz to see if any of their current receivers with room and subwoofer correction will work for me. 

On 6/16/2019 at 5:26 PM, morphsci said:

NAD is quality gear. Having owned Yamaha, Rotel and NAD gear I would go with NAD or Rotel over Yamaha. I would also look at what Marantz has to offer especially if you are interested in DSP.

NAD T758 V3 has Dirac. Seems like an awesome choice and I like the math. 

Edited by Dreadhead

On 6/17/2019 at 7:26 AM, morphsci said:

NAD is quality gear. Having owned Yamaha, Rotel and NAD gear I would go with NAD or Rotel over Yamaha. I would also look at what Marantz has to offer especially if you are interested in DSP.

I love Yamaha gear, but I would go for the NAD

First I'm going to agree with Jim on NAD's quality. I've owned lots of their gear over several decades, and it's bullet proof. 

I also have that same feeling about Parasound. Everything I've owned from them sounds great and just keeps rolling, like an old Subaru.

• Like 4

I got through the full Dirac setup and splurged for the full frequency range correction to let me correct above 500Hz. The system sounds fucking amazing. It's like an audio scapel! I can pull the entire image apart and hear everything. It sounds as good as anything I have ever heard. I need to build a filter with the few dB roll off rather than dead flat. 

I had to cut out the back of my rack to get it to fit but it does fit now. 

1561921282552420522053268760900.thumb.jpg.3528c442c1c5d9a6dd5ef3b5b939c6ba.jpg

The BluOS features have also made my Squeezebox Touch obsolete. 

Edited by Dreadhead
  • Like 9

• 6 months later...

Update to add that I love this thing. The BluOS upgrades that are regularly pushed out keep it up to date. I just added HD to my Amazon Music service and now I get lossless and Hi-Rez streaming on it too. Sounds flat out amazing. 

Edit: I configured it to Bi-amp the satellites. Awesome. 

Edited by Dreadhead
  • Like 7