AudioByte Hydra Vox dac

Wizzer

For anyone curious I just put an order in for the AudioByte Hydra Vox dac a Romanian manufacturered component and sister company of famed Rockna Audio .

It’s a interesting dac , it’s configured to stack with separate power supplies, yes plural and soon to be released server named the Hub .

The dac is FPGA based , pure one bit and no dac chip and much more including a superb purpose built headphone input.

I believe M***.com is the US distributor and ***.com a dealer where I placed my order I’m sure there are other dealers however I found Vlad owner of *** out of Minnesota to be fabulous to deal with.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Unlike some in this hobby I never marry any brand name of said audio components so for anyone interested I find this AudioByte Vox dac and headphone amplifier so far the best performing I’ve owed to date and with the third part of this stack yet to be released ,,,, a streamer,,,, I’m really looking forward to it .

This purchase was a complete shot in the dark though having listened to AudioBytes so called big brother Rockna dac I figured there should be a resemblance in performance . Using the exact same source after a couple weeks I realized I prefer the AudioByte Vox dac more so then Rockna’s entry level dac priced at $2,000 more . And just to mention I do have a Mjolnir audio Bipolar MK ii headphone amplifier with direct comparison I prefer the performance of the headphone section in the AudioByte.

Finally I’d like mention a recent firmware update for the Vox dac which further enhance the musical performance followed by a firmware up date for the power supplies which I think go a long way at making this component perform .