Favourite movie of 2005?

Dusty Chalk

So what was your favourite movie of 2005?

A couple of mine:

Batman Begins

Constantine

Howl's Moving Castle

Mirrormask

Sin City

Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit

...can't think of any others, but I'm sure I'm forgetting some...

I would have said: Appleseed, Steamboy, and Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, but those are all 2004.

No way, dude, Sith sucked! All it did was tie the first series to the second series.

The Matrix sequels were better.

You need to watch all six together... it really gives the entire saga different feel and Anakin's turn in ROTS and his end in ROTJ, even his meting Obiwan in TPM for the first time become more meaningful. Most people like ESB the best and ROTS second... I'm one of them ;D

You need to watch all six together...

Fuck that. My memory is good enough. Yes, I remember the scene -- "I sense a presence I haven't felt in..." That's exactly what I'm talking about. All it does is set up for that scene -- there is no storytelling of its own.

Plus, some of the crap, for example, where Obi Wan leaves Anikin for dead -- totally contrived. Couldn't've Lucas come up with something a little better than that?

And the scene where the emperor informs Anikin that he, himself, killed his beloved? The timing was all wrong on that. He should have said "Noooo..." right away, or something.

OMG, such terrible stiff acting. I've seen CGI that was more emotive.

I guess mine would have to be Sin City. There were things I loved about it such as the look (and BTW, why was it not nominated for anything like visual effects, makeup, screenplay, costume design, art direction? The Academy sucks!) and things I didn't, which I don't feel entirely justified in criticising. I bought it a few days ago and will see it again. I liked the first story with Mickey Rourke most. Oh yes, I really did like Batman very much. A massively welcome infusion of humanity with it's flaws and emotional displays in the character. Excellent acting by the supporting cast especially that old man gangster,Tom Wilkinson and Gary Oldman. Caine, Freeman and Neeson were typically Caine, Freeman and Neeson. One favourite episode was the getting gased, falling from the building on fire in the rain and needing to be rescued scene.

Every movie I saw in 2005 was of the eye candy variety and I'm hankering for greater substance; numerous times I'd say "let's go to the movies" and when I looked at what was playing, we'd not bother. I guess I should see Capote.

Fuck that. My memory is good enough. Yes, I remember the scene -- "I sense a presence I haven't felt in..." That's exactly what I'm talking about. All it does is set up for that scene -- there is no storytelling of its own.

Plus, some of the crap, for example, where Obi Wan leaves Anikin for dead -- totally contrived. Couldn't've Lucas come up with something a little better than that?

And the scene where the emperor informs Anikin that he, himself, killed his beloved? The timing was all wrong on that. He should have said "Noooo..." right away, or something.

OMG, such terrible stiff acting. I've seen CGI that was more emotive.

Well not everyone liked it but most felt it was the best among the PT. Although Hayden was pretty bad in ATOC I thought he improved much in ROTS and Ewan is an incredible actor. Look at all the films he's been in, he is so versatile. The thing with Star Wars is that the original trilogy is not the whole story and the first three are supposed to connect, that's the point. When Vader tells Luke that he has already saved him it means so much more after the first three, Obiwan's death is far more sad, the remade end of ROTJ showing all the other planets (which I didn't like at first) I enjoyed after watching all six.

As far as the end... contrived? How could it not be somewhat contrived if you knew that Vader had to be masked by the end? The emotion with the death of the Jedi in Order 66 and at the end where Obi was welled up screaming that he loved Anakin and he was his brother and then leaving Luke with the Owen's, I though it was all very well done and was the most emotional film of the saga from a tragic perspective. But hey, I'm and SW fanboy so it's just one fans take on the movie.