Best balanced cable for Sennheiser HD650?

earwicker7

I just received a set of HD650s. "Wow" is all I can say. That being said, I don't think I've read anything positive about the cables on these things, so the idea that the sound could get even better has me salivating.

What do you guys consider the best balanced replacement cable for these?

Probably depends on the rest of the system as well. With the Apogee Mini-Dac XLR I preferred the Equinox over the balanced Zu. Single-ended the Equinox is my favourite as well because it sounds like the stock cable just better. If you're trying to change the sound a bit, especially liven it up more, the Zu might be your cup of tea. I've heard the Silver Dragon, Zu, Headphile V1 & V2 and Oehlbach rather extensively.

Best I don't know, but there are different flavors that each cable can offer. Also, it depends what flavor your ear prefers. I don't know much of anything about grandenigma and [ak]zip cables.

I personally don't like the cardas cable with the HD650s (single-ended). IMO, bloated, thick, slow, etc... (I've heard them on a few systems and the same or similar experience). I liked the Equinox cable when I heard it single-ended. Though, the stock cable isn't half bad. But if I was to upgrade I would most likely get the Equinox cable since it greatly improves on the stock cable while remaining true to the original sound signature. Another option I've looked into is the Zu cable, but only based on what I've read it provides a very different sound--almost making the HD650s Gradoish--what I mean is more upfront and bright.

It would be ideal to listen to a few cables and let your own ear decide.

in my experience the equinox sounded even thicker than the cardas (single ended version), but of course ymmv.

amazing... that's why people need to hear stuff for themselves. did you compare those cables back-to-back in the same system? And you're talking about the HD650s, correct?

amazing... that's why people need to hear stuff for themselves. did you compare those cables back-to-back in the same system? And you're talking about the HD650s, correct?

yes, around 15 months in chicago...someone brought a cardas and an equinox to the meet, and i A/Bed them directly out of the lavry DA-10 headphone out with my woodied hd650s.

I went ahead and ordered the Limited Edition equinox, because a lot of people seem to say it keeps the sennheiser sound, just "better".

Does anyone out there geek out enough to keep different cables for different music? Please say no so that I don't do it :)