KZ mods

Pars

One of the tweakier things I've done. My twin brother is back in the states for a month and brought a couple of pairs of KZ ZS-6s with him that he has had for awhile. He had previously talked me into buying a pair of KZ ZS-10s, but I found them unlistenable due to their excessive high end. A few months ago, I had run across a post on diyhifi from Thorsten Loech (aka, Kuei Yang Wang) regarding some mods he had done to these. These are apparently a clone (looks-wise) of Campfire Audio Andromedas, which he apparently liked. Patrick (EUVL) on diyaudio also did this and seemed to like them, so WTF. Like I need something else to do right now. I sent a link to this to my brother, and hence, here I am trying to solder shit much smaller than I am comfortable with :kitty:

So after some fun, I got both pairs of them done, and surprise, they are actually quite listenable for me! I really kind of like them, but still need to tame the high end a bit. At least my brother told me if I did this, I could have one pair of them. Listening to some Catherine Wheel Chrome right now (still one of my favs... those guys were fucking good!).

Stock, they are like this:

IMG_1658.thumb.jpg.2be26ce39246035fa5a45364088111e5.jpg

After removing a miniscule cap and resistor (102? barely the size of the end of my tweezers), and rewiring the balanced armature (BA) tweeters from parallel to serial, and replacing the resistor with a 7.5ohm MELF and the cap with a reasonably sized Panasonic ECP-U, they look like this:

IMG_1661.thumb.jpg.08fb4f4f55e38f8baf1e13dbc5f38c98.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzy iPhoneXR pics, but best I could do this time of night...

Edited by Pars
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...