Thinking about getting an L3000...

deepak

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And due to living in apartments for the next few years, I won't be able to enjoy a full out speaker setup, so I'll just save for now. I have a big rock to buy relatively soon.

"Honey everyone knows a cubic zirconium looks just like a real diamond".......honest!

Are there any other L3000 + Zana Deux owners? mulveling sent me a PM, so looking forward to his impressions.

Anyone else?

I don't own the ZD, but I've heard that combo on a few of occasions. I've heard that Craig is working on a new design that's not only a headphone amp, but also drives speakers, which he has been working on as well and they are based on the Moth Cicada design.

you can get pretty damn good speakers for that money, as i'm finding out.

Indeed, I've recently purchased a pair of Triangle Stratos Luna 260 speakers (93 dB/W/m). At $2400 they were a bargain. They're the most detailed dynamic speakers I've ever heard with a very flat bass response but also with a treble spike from 14-20 kHz. I will try to drive them directly from my SP amp when I receive it. At my low listening levels, it will have plenty of power (72 dB(A) at listening position is borderline uncomfortable to me).

• 2 weeks later...

Woohoo for headphones as an investment! :D

Not that I'd ever want to sell them, at least based on how I feel when listening to them (like now).

Yeah, same here. I have a gut feeling that the L3000 must be peaking in value right around now. No way I'm selling mine, though ;D

But really, is there anything better than enjoying something so much, that doesn't go down in value?

The most noticeable differences between the stock cable and Alex's cable lie in bass impact and treble sparkle. Alex's cable makes the L3000s hit even harder, such that kick drums have, well, more kick. The treble seem to have gained a small bit of sparkle, so it's a little bit more open sounding. The L3000s aren't claustrophobic to begin with, but any more treble clarity is welcomed.

By the way these opinions are formed while listening to them balanced; I haven't done a balanced-vs-single-ended comparison using Alex's adaptor yet.