Thinking about getting an L3000...

deepak

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you guys should just buy speakers. have i mentioned how much i like speakers? i really like speakers :)

i listened to my speakers almost exclusively for weeks after I got them, but I was eventually lured back into headphones. The past couple of weeks I have listened to the RS-1 and W5K almost exclusively. Speakers and headphones both have a place in my rig.

• 4 weeks later...

i spent some time at a meet this weekend with the L3000 and W5000. the L3000 i had heard on a few occassions and its smooth luxurious sound had always impressed me. this time was no different. i listened to them stock SE on an apache/G08 combo. the sound was warm but clear, the sound stage was of reasonable size but by no means large, and the bass was of very good quality and hard hitting. sometimes too much so. on hilary hahn's bach concertos, the bass seemed to overpower the violin. when i switched to some regina spektor and feist, the bass quanity was perfect and the sound glorious. i suspect balanced and recabled, the headphone will excel even more. i enjoyed them very much, but am still turned off by the price. $2000+ is a lot to spend on one headphone, especially since it seemed to peform better with some genres than others.

i also listened to the W5000 (Bal oracle cable) back to back with the L3000. i found the sound stage on the W5000 to be larger, the bass was far less, and there was less texture and layering to the music, but the sound was not thin and the detail seemed sharper and imaging a bit more precise. hahn through the W5000 sounded near perfect. there was a small treble spike but it did not bother me, at least in the short term.

after that i switched to the K701 (Bal black dragon). the sound stage was larger than the W5000 but not as much as i imagined. the detail was about the same, but the W5000 seemed a bit more brilliant at times. my first thought after hearing the two side by side was that the W5000 could replace my K701 for classical.

suffice to say, i still would like to own an L3000 but price will probably prevent this. and i think i may be on the lookout for a W5000 - esp one recabled to balanced.

Your opinions will have credibility with those that like RSA products I'm sure, pretty much works that way for any product. Just so happens that there aren't many RSA fans here.

so my opinions get no credibility because i like RSA amps. that doesn't seem quite fair.

Guest sacd lover

Your opinions will have credibility with those that like RSA products I'm sure, pretty much works that way for any product. Just so happens that there aren't many RSA fans here.

My problem with RSA is not always the sound .... it is the value. You can get any number of equally good to much better sounding amps for much less $$$. Examples, PPX3 SLAM $900 vs $1200 for a Raptor .... Mapletree Ear+ $700 vs $1200 for a Raptor .... Upgraded Woo 6 $950 vs $1200 for a Raptor. A $110 Mister X PINT will crush the Hornet or Tomahawk.

There are plenty of people who like RSA who aren't dismissed in general. But you dismissed headphones based on a setup that would have very little likelihood of sounding good.

you think the apache cannot properly drive low impedance headphones. my K701, RS1, and SR325 sound more than fine on them (lots of understatment) and the W5000 sounded great as well. what amp is more suited to drive them, besides anything - which is what some will say. ::)

you think the apache cannot properly drive low impedance headphones. my K701, RS1, and SR325 sound more than fine on them (lots of understatment) and the W5000 sounded great as well. what amp is more suited to drive them, besides anything - which is what some will say. ::)

Heck, you think the RS-1 sounds great out of the Raptor. :doghuh: