Best Android TV Box No Amazon Fire products

sbelyo

I need some recommendations for an Android TV box.  No Amazon products.  I need it to replace a Tivo mini.  I'm looking for it to support the Tivo app so I can stream from my DVR (tivo bolt), Netflix, Hulu, and prime and the upcoming Disney+

This is stemming from the app performance of the Tivo mini.  Hulu, Prime, and Netflix all crash and Disney+ will not be available as an app for Tivo or through Amazon channels, or on Amazon fire devices so I'd like to kill two birds by replacing the mini with an Android TV device.  This should allow for better app performance, let me retain Tivo access, and add Disney+.  With that being said, there are so many out there so I'm looking for ones that people have had success with.

Nvidia Shield.

I Use it. I Like it. Hooked up with Logitech Harmony in addition to its voice remote.

All the usual suspects on the streaming app front(Youtube Netflix , Amazon prime Video and music, both in 4K HDR) + kodi. I Don't use Hulu so cant say , but it's there,

as is the Tivo app. Handles Live TV via Silicon Dust Cable Card in my case. 

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-tv-box-2-1021123/

Edited by Grahame
  • Like 1

That I'm not sure.  I was hoping you can still steam live TV from the main Tivo through the app.  It looks like you can

https://explore.tivo.com/how-to/tivo-app-android.html

I think this could replace the mini.  I want access to more streaming services but don't want to ditch the Tivo because as a DVR it work well with Fios.  I think the providers are looking at the Tivo platform as legacy and just not providing support.  I know they have a new platform but I want to have a software solution like you said

On 10/8/2019 at 3:11 PM, Grahame said:

Handles Live TV via Silicon Dust Cable Card in my case. 

That silicon dust box looks cool.  Looks like you can replace the Tivo with it by adding their DVR service and a NAS.  I'll have to look at that a little deeper

4 hours ago, Knuckledragger said:

A refurb'd Mac Mini.  It has a real OS, works with all streaming services, can do light big screen gaming if you GAF, and can access all of your local data as well.  /not the answer you were looking for, but it's the conclusion I reached.

I went down that route a few years ago and it was a solid choice.  My problems were (back when I tried it) the bluetooth keyboard kept disconnecting and the script to map my nas shares was 50/50.  That being said I was going to look at an apple TV.  The shield looks real good though combined with the silicondust prime

I have a Logitech wireless keyboard/trackpad combo.  It was under $20.  It uses a tiny USB dongle and I get a great range with it.  My Mini is across the long axis of my bedroom (maybe 15') and in a closet with the door half open.  The Logitech's trackpad is nowhere as good as an OEM Apple one, but what is?

The Nvidia Shield is a big long in the tooth these days, but it is by far the best Android TV box.  I almost bought one before I got the Mini.

11 minutes ago, Knuckledragger said:

The Nvidia Shield is a big long in the tooth these days, but it is by far the best Android TV box.  I almost bought one before I got the Mini.

Mature perhaps. It still has more than enough grunt for the tasks at hand, and is still getting regular software updates, both for the base OS/Experience and the apps.

For couch based control the remote and voice commands work well enough, and you can always pair a keyboard / trackpad if you need that for your use case.

Nothing wrong with a mac mini if it meets your use cases. Interested in what edge cases it addresses that cant be met by an Apple TV these days for those in that ecosystem.

21 hours ago, Knuckledragger said:

A refurb'd Mac Mini.  It has a real OS, works with all streaming services, can do light big screen gaming if you GAF, and can access all of your local data as well.  /not the answer you were looking for, but it's the conclusion I reached.

If you're using any kind of a Mac for your tv, you should try installing the Apple TV Aerial screensaver app. The footage is awesome and the best thing about my Apple TV IMHO.

Hopefully the app will update. I just got an underwater one and the sea lions swimming around is super cool!

https://9to5mac.com/2018/10/29/apple-tv-screensavers-to-mac/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

got a cheap magicom G box and was at least able to get the tivo app to load but it won't launch.  I did get the Tivo app to work from IOS devices in the house and it works quite well but not the way I was hoping.  When streaming live TV you must watch and record at the same time.  Thats not a huge deal but I think it's going to stop at the end of the show and not continue to the next unless you do something.  I'll test it some more but I'm pretty sure an android box is out because there wasn't much success getting the tivo app to work.

Hopefully silicondust releases the prime 6 soon so I can ditch the Tivo, keep verizon FIOS, and still have a DVR

Edited by sbelyo

2 hours ago, Grahame said:

Wow, the pro has plex media server built in.  That's a plus.  It says expandable with USB storage or hard drives but not sure if you can put one inside like the earlier versions.

2 hours ago, luvdunhill said:

I am tempted. I think the TiVO app would swing me. Let me know what to buy :)

so far I can't get it working on Android 5.  Now that there's new shields out I'll watch ebay for the previous version to see if they drop in price.  I also want to try the Apple TV.  The 4th generation non 4K goes for $70 or so on ebay so it's worth a try just to see if I can live with the Tivo app and the way it works

3 hours ago, sbelyo said:

I did get the Tivo app to work from IOS devices in the house and it works quite well but not the way I was hoping.  When streaming live TV you must watch and record at the same time.  Thats not a huge deal but I think it's going to stop at the end of the show and not continue to the next unless you do something. 

I just realized that The Tivo bolt must transcode the show so you can watch it via the app.  This is why it's a show by show type deal instead of just streaming the live TV channel without stopping.  At least I think that's what it is.

Might be worth it to buy the shield (if the Tivo app works on it), then buy a silicondust prime 3 box (used off ebay) and run all three devices.  That way the Bolt remains your DVR, the Silicondust prime serves live TV.  Doing it that way allows you to watch live TV, your recorded shows, and all the apps that you can't get on the Tivo.  Then when time and money permits you can build a NAS, subscribe to silicondust's DVR service and ditch the Tivo altogether.

ah hah, so the app that I was reading about is not the existing one.  The only thing I can think of is the silicondust Prime and then find a storage area for your recordings.  The Prime 6 looks like it's gonna be deep into 2020 before it sees the light of the day unless you want to buy a prime 3 off ebay.  I'll keep looking to see what I find

• 2 weeks later...