WiFi Router Upgrade

I am currently using an AirPort Extreme but I know I am on limited time here. Our house is two stories at around 3500 Sq. Ft. with cinder block outside walls which limit signal strength in the garage and outside. Thinking that a mesh system should be the way to go so looking for opinions as well as any recommendations. I like the software interface on the AE and have really had no problems with the system but unfortunately Apple has parked the bus on this one.

• Like 1

The Linksys Velop system is getting some pretty good press, never tried it though.  I use Eero series 1 at home (combined with an 8-port wired-only router), and Google mesh at my condo.  All around good performers, and got good deals on them; I have bought a few used Eero's at good prices to expand even further (basement, enclosed deck/porch, etc.).  I think overall throughput can be bettered though by other brands, or the second gen Eero.

Both brands had simple installations, both are pretty foolproof.  If you want to get into deeper configurations, they may not have that flexibility (like controlling the different bands separately, for example).

My 2 cents....

Hate my Orbi system.  Have almost thrown it away at least three times.  Will replace it soon with something that actually knows how a router is supposed to work and can work with a camera that is in direct line of site 18 feet away without constant dropouts.  Not to mention our iDevices are routinely dropping from the Orbi to some of the Extremes I have running to actually have a somewhat usable WiFi in the house.

16 hours ago, dsavitsk said:

2nd Unifi. Our house has all plaster with metal lath, which means every room is a Faraday cage. I ran cable to each floor and have an access point on each level and it works great.

This is the best if you can do it, some hardwire and access points....I still may try to do this slightly cheaper, I was quoted almost $4k for a pro install including a rack and equipment in our basement.  But I do have some cable wires going up an inside wall, routed through closets on my first and second floor, and then into my attic and back down.  I should be able to use that snake route and pay a lot less.  Just never prioritized it as my Eero's are working well enough.

Went with the Linksys Velop TriBand System (Three Units). Wanted to go with the Unifi because H-C. I have drop in the Family Room so running one into the garage would be only a minor pain. However, running cable to the upstairs would be either a major pain (i.e. I do it) or not worth the expense (i.e. pay a pro to do it). The Velop got pretty good reviews plus I got a pretty good price on it. If I don't like it I will try the Unifi with only two drops and see how that works out.