Behringer clone DT770

Dusty Chalk

https://www.electric-kingdom.net/post/behringer-releases-clone-of-beyerdynamic-dt-770-studio-reference-headphones

See, this is why I hate Behringer, they reverse engineer technology, and then undercut the original.  I’m alright with it when the technology is long since out of the market, as is the case with many of their synthesizers, but this is ubiquitous!  Grr...

Not really sure how much is truly "reverse engineered", other than cosmetics. I think Beyer makes their own drivers, at least for most of their pro lines. The Behringer driver is 53mm, while Beyer's is 45mm. Beyer also makes multiple impedance variants of many of their pro models (250ohm, 80ohm, 32ohm).

But your point is taken.

3 hours ago, jpelg said:

Not really sure how much is truly "reverse engineered", other than cosmetics. I think Beyer makes their own drivers, at least for most of their pro lines. The Behringer driver is 53mm, while Beyer's is 45mm. Beyer also makes multiple impedance variants of many of their pro models (250ohm, 80ohm, 32ohm).

But your point is taken.

They're marketing it as a clone -- clone==reverse engineered.

But your point is taken as well.  I would phrase it thusly:  after they reverse engineered it, they forward engineered it from there -- presumably to give them some cost-cutting options, but also maybe so that they could protect it as a different design. 

2 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

If they used a different size driver, then it’s technically a different design.

I'm not sure. The same happens with the imitations of the "Beast". Although the driver is different, they are copying an industrial design.

Another matter is that Beyer, after 1000 years of manufacturing the DT770, has granted or sold the patent.

• Like 1

In pharma-industry here in Europe are usually 10 to 11 years. In the US they are somewhat longer I think 20 in some cases.

Far from this, the DT770 has been in production for more than 20 years so it would not surprise me if its design patent is expired or that Behringer and Beyer share shareholding.

Something that catches my attention is that the new model is called "DT330/DT660" which would lead to suppose that it is a model "inferior" to the DT770.

5 hours ago, jose said:

Something that catches my attention is that the new model is called "DT330/DT660" which would lead to suppose that it is a model "inferior" to the DT770.

Actually, the original link says it’s called the BH 770.  Where did you see DT330/DT660?

4 hours ago, ktm said:

So B&H photo had a discounted return. I ordered one at $10 off. No brainer. 
I'll find a use for it at that price. I don't currently have a closed set of headphones.

Oh, good, please do report back.  I am very curious, myself.

Some online reviews not too positive.....one example:

I had to take a chance for the price! They look like the Beyerdynamic 770's but that's all they do. Broke them in over night hoping for better sound but in the AM they were still super thin sounding. Also had a friend in Nashville who purchased the phones from another vendor and he said he had the same issue.

On a tone generator you can hear frequency down to 15hz but low end is not reproduced accurately when listening to music. Sounds like they roll off at 200hz.

I think the Extended Bass extended right past these phones! Ha! 

• Haha 1

Well, it's official. They suck for music. The low end is all attack and no decay. Drums sound all hollowed out. Eq isn't going to fix this. These are going to be used with the tablett. They isolate and are fairly efficient. I can now watch bad anime in the same room with the wife. 

Edited by ktm
  • Like 2