What is your current project, or what will be your next project?

JBLoudG20

Dilemma:

I have about $150. I don't know which to build:

1) at a cost of about $120 I can finish up my M^3.

2) at about $150 I can build my 6SN7 -> 6AS7G tube amp.

The reason I have such a small amount of cash:

I have found that in order to reduce the amount of guilt I have for spending so much cash on hobbies, I do NOT spend my regular earnings (well mroe like SUMMER earnings: which are being saved so I have money for the rest of my last school year). I only spend supplemental income: moeny form extra jobs I do, DIY builds for others, selling my equipment (hell I even got paid for washing a few cars a few weekends ago). This extra cash is my way to spend what I want and not feel like I should have saved it. I greatly look forward to the time when I'll have play money AND be saving ;) but I working only a few months a year doesn't allow that.

So, what would you do? I have such an itch to build the tube amp, but I already have about half the parts for the M^3. I cannot guarantee I'll have enough cash later in teh summer to finish the other one. Only time will tell.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All you super tech types humble me. Heck, I can barely solder two wires together much less build an amp or other piece of gear! My "project" is taking my son's old bedroom and making it a private space for me to sit down and listen in peace. Got it painted and all my gear in place. Still need a good LCD and stand and need to replace the carpet with hardwood. Then it's off to rework the home theater.

All you super tech types humble me. Heck, I can barely solder two wires together much less build an amp or other piece of gear! My "project" is taking my son's old bedroom and making it a private space for me to sit down and listen in peace. Got it painted and all my gear in place. Still need a good LCD and stand and need to replace the carpet with hardwood. Then it's off to rework the home theater.

You going to have any speakers in there? I'm a total nub with speakers but I heard speakers + hard wood = bad. Also hardwood plus turntable is bad. But if you are listening to digital on headphones this is moot. or i could be wrong and all of this is moot.

just thought i'd spread some potential misinformation. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Started working on the rear panel layout for my DAC last night and discovered the wonder that is Greenlee punches. Holy poop, how does anyone live without these. If you're ever working on a project that requires more than 1 or 2 "Neutrik" sized holes (15/16" diameter) you really owe it to yourself to pick up a punch. Just mark, drill a 3/8" pilot hole, line up the punch and crank away with your favorite 1" wrench or socket. I cut three sample holes last night in a hammond case and they went like a breeze. Time to get to work on the real panel tonight!

My new tube amp is 99% completed. I am waiting on a few capacitors form Mouser that I forgot to order. then I want to just do some cleaning up of the wiring (the amp is p2p, so its not the prettiest thing).

My next project is building a PINt for a friend, then earning some moeny to finish my M^3, which might be delayed if I land a certian deal for a certain headphone.

My new tube amp is 99% completed. I am waiting on a few capacitors form Mouser that I forgot to order. then I want to just do some cleaning up of the wiring (the amp is p2p, so its not the prettiest thing).

My next project is building a PINt for a friend, then earning some moeny to finish my M^3, which might be delayed if I land a certian deal for a certain headphone.

A certain AT W10vtg maybe >:D >:D>:D

Now that the amp is basically done I've been thinking about finding a use for 4 6H30 tubes I have sitting in their boxes. Was thinking about building a DAC using:

Twisted Pear Opus DAC module

Twisted Pear Opus SPDIF module

AMB Laboratories σ11 PSU's

6H30 based balanced output stage

No idea which design to use for the output stage, but it would be nice if it was an established circuit.

Guys,

Looking for a killer output stage for my Denon 3930.

must do I/V, filtering and amp/buffering. True Balanced output is a requirement.

Any ideas?

anyone want to design one, and do a group buy :angel:

SMD would be fine ;) must fit into a CD/SACD player for modification

Now that the amp is basically done I've been thinking about finding a use for 4 6H30 tubes I have sitting in their boxes.

If I ever get my Aikido project off the ground I might take them off your hands. Otherwise I can't say that I recommend tube based output stages for sources. Given how tubes react to different impedance loads my preference is solid-state sources for flexibility and less worry.