What is your current project, or what will be your next project?

JBLoudG20

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just nice to finally be able to get some of the stuff into the room and put down the paint brush. Sometimes just having a bit of peace and quiet is a real treat. While it's my kids old room, it's going to do the job nicely. My daughter is headed off to college in a couple of weeks. I'm considering snagging that room as it was originally planned as a study/family room when the house was being built. Sweet view and a bay window! I get that one and my wife may never see my face again!! ;)

As for the Supra, it was a bit of a shock the day I received the crate to be sure. Snapped a few pics of the Supra XLR and MPX3 when I had both in my possession as I didn't recall seeing that anywhere when I was looking for the dimensions of the Supra for cabinetry selections. Just a tiny difference, no?

SupraMPX3size_01.jpg

Guest sacd lover

My next project WAS a Mapletree Ear+ Super .... as named by Lloyd. But, he used some unknown Hexfreds in the amp when the part he normally used was out of stock. :mikey2: Well the FRED's were not as advertised, went south and shorted the power transformers secondary. But, as soon as he gets a new transformer and some different Hexfred's the amp should be returning shortly. I will give you a report once the amp is returned. The brief three hour listening session before the amp went down was promising.

My new project is a transformer coupled pentode amp. I am not sure which tube I am going to use .... there are tens of good power pentodes. But the amp will be high power and have a punchier more neutral signature more like a SS amp .... but without the SS flaws .... if I get what I envision. I am going to use either my SLAM SE or my second Extreme as the platform with custom output transformers. This amp should drive Grados crazy good. ;D

My new project is a transformer coupled pentode amp. I am not sure which tube I am going to use .... there are tens of good power pentodes. But the amp will be high power and have a punchier more neutral signature more like a SS amp .... but without the SS flaws .... if I get what I envision. I am going to use either my SLAM SE or my second Extreme as the platform with custom output transformers. This amp should drive Grados crazy good. ;D

Sounds veeerrry nice. Keep us posted. :)

So now that things are slowing down a bit, i got this idea to build a massively huge BH.

So i'm thinking 4 x 3cx400 should be absolutely perfect. Running at about 50 watts plate each.

Designed for grounded grid from the start.

Anyone have some with sockets and chimney. Current best price on the tubes i have found is $480 each.

Can't find any new sockets, just old pulls.

If anyone has any idea on glass tubes (as opposed to ceramic) that are triodes and NOT DHT, i'm willing

to listen. Current production a definite benefit. No 811,813,8000... as they are all DHT.

R32 is charred in half on one board, R34 is black on another, sigma22 is basically passing thorough the power without doing anything. I had guests over, little niece and her friend etc. No idea exactly what happened as I was really tired, but i think the headphone jack or something got shorted when unplugged or half plugged in or whatever. All i know was i was next to them, the transformer vibrated and got hot, and it read like 340 watts intake and rising on the power meter and I unplugged it, saw smoke and just left the room in disgust..

Pics to come in the morning if i even care not to trash it.

Actually I think the millet max will be my last amp. Recently one of the magnet wires inside my K501's left driver snapped so I had to cut a slit in the diaphragm to fish the rest of the wire out and solder it onto to the post and reassemble it. The lm4562 i got for my dac oscilllated or flat out broke the moment i put it in, the battery pack i made for my portable amps has a cheap dc plug that barely works.. all the stuff i have for sale no one buys.... what else?? nothing really...

I think it is time for me to leave this hobby before anything I have left breaks. I think it is a sign to move on..

If I don't sell enough stuff by the end of the week to fund the millet max then i think ill just stick with ksc35s out of my ipod...