Spoiler tags

Edwood

• 1 year later...

I would just like to bump this suggestion, I would think it would be fairly easy, although I have no idea. It'd also be nice if, when the topic is emailed out to people, it got converted to true HTML -- would that be possible? So that they got the text obscured as well.

speaking of bumping, YGPM for the love!

• 3 months later...

< :rant: >

I really don't get the fear of spoilers. Seriously. I know reviews over the years have increasingly gotten lazy and simply statement the events happening instead of what a film/book/whatever is about, but damn if a pieces quality exists solely on the basis of witnessing a scene the first time, that's not a strong sign. Besides do that many core secrets really get exposed in threads here? I mean take the most predictable blockbuster in years - Iron Man. What exactly could be said before seeing it to make that experience worst? There are no surprises to expose. Or did I just expose the only surprise?

I now know people who won't read a DVD sleeve or actual reviews and instead only glance at a combo Rotten Tomatoes number (yeah go with the masses of reviewers that always works) to decide how to allocate a Friday night. WTF?

Could someone explain this to me?

</ :rant: >

Also people don't just review movies here. We like to discuss things as well, which may involve divulging key plot elements. And many people read the forums using the "show new posts" feature. It's not hard to see why this was a much needed and appreciated feature.

And there was much rejoicing.

You thought I'd put something dirty in here didn't you?

No, really, there isn't anything else.

Ok, you can stop clicking now

I said stop clicking damn you!

Look, for the last time, there ain't no hidden message!

Ok, so I lied

there is no spoon!

This is the way the forums @ xkcd.com do it, and I think it's quite nice.

Does the spoilered text get sent in the email updates?

I really don't get the fear of spoilers...Could someone explain this to me?
Sure: obviously, you already understand the worst spoilers. But there are milder spoilers that just ruin the movie-watching experience, because they put you in the wrong frame of mind. I'm going to pick one that probably nobody here has seen besides me and Hirsch: My Super Ex-Girlfriend. The spoiler from that one is right in the title -- she doesn't become his ex-girlfriend until more than half-way through the movie. So the first half of the movie seems to be one long dragging setup, rather than what it's meant to be -- the first half of the movie. You're in the wrong mindset to be watching the first half of the film. So that's why spoilers are bad -- they put you in a different mindset than you should be while watching the film. For example, if there's a particular scene in the preview -- like between the good guy and the main bad guy (the "big boss fight"), and they don't meet until the end, you're watching the entire movie knowing that they're going to interact, so any possible suspenseful moments beforehand are rendered moot. Is Buffy really going to get out from under that car that Spike threw on her just before the commercial? Well, you know she is, because you saw a kiss between her and The Master in the previews for this week's episode, and they haven't kissed yet -- that kind of thing.

Also people don't just review movies here. We like to discuss things as well, which may involve divulging key plot elements. And many people read the forums using the "show new posts" feature. It's not hard to see why this was a much needed and appreciated feature.

I guess it's hard for at least one to see why it's a "much needed" feature even while discussing "key plot elements", which is kinda why I asked the question. ;) I really find the rise in battling spoilers fight interesting (and it really is new), but I'm pretty clueless about its cause, though it seems quite obvious to many. Forgetting about professional reviewers which matters little here, does your average Joe hide twists less often now? Is the discussion more public, thus not between friends who know the others soft-spots? Or has the material just gotten weaker and the twists are it (I have to admit more a film is action or sci-fi - which is usually just action in space/another time - the more the anger on this front seems to be)? Hell, I've gotten slammed for revealing information in the first 30 seconds of a film, that is nothing but setup. Anyway, this feature doesn't hurt anyone and I'm not against it, I just don't understand and wanted to take the opportunity to ask why?

I typed the above before Chalks response - but really Dusty the problem with My Super Ex-Girlfriend is that the title was inaccurate and created the wrong expectations? Seriously? I saw it twice (lovely airline decided to show it both directions) and while it's nearly impossible for me to hate airline films, the list of problems that keep that one from being great entertainment is a long one. It's basically a disaster in construction. It drags because its empty. It's a funny concept (woman scorned, but with superpowers! - wowee zowee!), not remotely filled in for 90 minutes. There were what four laughs? There's my spoiler - it's not funny. But even if I grant your point, in relationship to his conversion we hide titles too? Or do we say be aware she's not an ex until half-way through to prepare others (if that's really necessary). Is that then a spoiler? If we continue to use this as an example how does someone knowing the title, being warned they're not exes for the first half and saying there's an escalating anger level where she uses powers for revenge, destroy any part of the experience of even this not-much-there-there picture? Go into specifics - she's realllllly angry and uses lasers... at him, etc. Does it change anything?

To those where this is all obvious I'm sure I'm coming off as a moron, but I swear I'm confused. I can certainly imagine specific secrets where enjoyment is lessened, and one is used as an example a couple posts up postjack ;), but the vast majority of spoiler complaints are over my head. And even using postjacks example the next viewing is probably better. Sure knowing in the end of a thriller the detectives wife is the murderer is a problem. But that the detective is a detective and he's investigating a murder during which he's sent down a wild goose chase? I'm so mixed up. ???

blessingx, lets say we have a few threads going for serial shows (Lost, BSG, etc). These shows pretty often have twists and turns in every episode. If we start discussing the details of those twists from the latest episode, the spoiler tag can let people who haven't seen the last episode yet still be a part of the conversation without ruining the twists for them before they get a chance to watch. Pretty simple ;).

If you don't get why spoilers suck I'm not sure I can explain it.

You don't ever get anxious watching a movie or TV show waiting for the plot to unfold? You don't experience any suspense? Or is it that to you these elements are not part of the enjoyment of whatever it is you're watching/reading/etc? I guess you must be one of those folks that reads the last page of a book first...

Did you see last night's Lost? Can you believe that

Claire

is really

Jack's half-sister

and that

the baby is his nephew

? Actually, I saw that one coming for a long time, even though my wife refused to believe me when I said that the guy

with Claire was Jack's father

Now, if somebody really liked Lost and read all that shit before seeing the show, then they would be pissed at me and would not enjoy the show as much when they did watch it. Surely you see that Ric, right?