The Never Ending Search for a Music Server

n_maher

OK I have to change my mind on Roon. I spent the morning reinstalling my Roon Core and now it all works flawlessly. Since both Roon as well as my infrastructure has changed significantly since the last time I used it I do not know what caused this improvement, but I am happy. Seamless integration of my collection as well as Tidal and Qobuz and easy switching of where I want it to play. I now see its popularity.

• Like 5

The ease of use is great indeed, Jim!  I have a core setup on NUC's in my home and in my Maine condo.  It's easy to switch the license back and forth, so I can enjoy that anywhere.

I have 5 end-points at home, and (when set back up, if I can ever get there) 2 in Maine.

Only use TIDAL and local libraries for now, may give Qobuz a try, and if Roon integrates with the Amazon service, we'll see about that.....

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
43 minutes ago, Pars said:

That should work fine for the RA Opus 21. I have tried the free version of Volumio and it works pretty well. I assume you are not going to use Roon because then I would suggest Roopieee with a USB to SPDIF converter. 

I do feel like I need to take a shower after going to that site and reading that article :dinny:

• Haha 3

• 1 year later...

bumpybump... nearly two years after doing my first A/B/C of Spotify, Qobuz, and Tidal (where i reported no differences of any kind)... i have revisited Tidal.

continuing frustration over Spotify HiFi not being a thing, recent social dilemmas, and the current $2-for-3 month promo for the top tier all pulled me in along with plenty of @recstar24 encouragement.

it's a huge jump this time. of 100 or so tracks so far, there's been less than 10 that i thought were not hugely improved specifically in staging and the '3d'ness of individual lines. maybe it's the rig... Tidal Connect into Naim Uniti HE to Utopia is some truly glorious digital. most likely i will stick with it unless Spotify pulls a 180.

• Like 6

Nice Bryan!  My son feels exactly the same way, for all the same reasons (sound quality + social + delay in HiFi).  He will likely not go back.

I upped my Tidal subscription to a family account so he and his GF can use it.....and I just bought a used Bluesound Node 2i for him to use with Tidal Connect (his existing Elac device that I gave him only does it through Airplay, and not very well).

• Like 3

On 2/4/2022 at 10:22 AM, Aura said:

bumpybump... nearly two years after doing my first A/B/C of Spotify, Qobuz, and Tidal (where i reported no differences of any kind)... i have revisited Tidal.

continuing frustration over Spotify HiFi not being a thing, recent social dilemmas, and the current $2-for-3 month promo for the top tier all pulled me in along with plenty of @recstar24 encouragement.

it's a huge jump this time. of 100 or so tracks so far, there's been less than 10 that i thought were not hugely improved specifically in staging and the '3d'ness of individual lines. maybe it's the rig... Tidal Connect into Naim Uniti HE to Utopia is some truly glorious digital. most likely i will stick with it unless Spotify pulls a 180.

Even outside of SQ, the tidal interface is soooo much better 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2020 at 10:01 AM, n_maher said:

It seems like I've been trying to do this for years and WFH may finally force the issue enough into the forefront that I do something. So, what I'm basically looking for is a stand-alone music server, with onboard storage capacity, decent library management tools, and a reliably updated GUI.  I'm not against the obvious Mac Mini choice as I have external DAC options that make that doable, but would be interested in hearing folks other thoughts on this. Budget is not unlimited and the Brooklyn solutions of the world need not apply.  I've looked and can't really find anything that gets me very excited.

Have you looked into the innuos line of music servers? I have one and love it.  They have their own gui that's really good or you can run roon. Excellent audiophile equipment. Multiple models for your budget.