z-sleeve question

NotoriousBIG_PJ

When I read this article a while ago I did some research based upon various clues given in the review. I forgot what most of them were but I eventually determined that the "tube" is probably a ferrite bead. I made some enquiries all over the net and the only company that had anything comparable was:

http://www.ferrishield.com/

They will do custom sizes similar to the ones in the Six Moons article but very expensive. They quoted me about $500 if I recall. What is interesting is that the Z sleeves are used with ICs and speaker cables in the Six Moons article, yet most other uses for audio equipment that I have seen only specify ferrites use with power cords.

I highly doubt there is anything ferrite in the z-sleeve. Just by guessing I would think its some kind of plastic tube. It needs to be something that lets emi/rfi through it and maintains it's cylindrical shape and is cheap. I made a diy version with pipe insulation, but the insulation is prety thick and its not all that durable because it is cut straight down the middle.

Biggie.

I'm not interested in whats inside the z-sleeve, I just want to build a similar casing.

Biggie.

Go to Canadian Tire or Home Depot. They should have some large diameter clear vinyl (I think) tubing. Grab some of that, grab some foam pipe insulation to go around it, then get some PVC or ABS pipe that fits over the foam. Glue it all together & paint it and you'll have one of those swanky cable doo-hickeys.

• 3 weeks later...