W5000 - Soon to be overshadowed by jpak's L3000

postjack

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:( :(

Care to embellish on your opinions? I guess the new school AT sound fluffs your feathers more than the good 'ol AT.

Something about the W5000 sound is just so damn exciting. No shit, I keep forgetting to breathe when I listen to them. They sound so unheadphone-like, but by that I don't mean speaker-like. Acoustic guitar plucks in particular sound marvelous. Bass actually has a nice heft and flow to it, I'm thinking this is because the cups sit flush against my large square head (one of the big complaints I read about the W5000 is that the top of the cups don't sit flush, thereby leaving a nice open area for all that bass to escape). The soundstage is remarkably large for a closed can.

I attribute the can's "excitement" to a combination of the hot/wonky midrange and overall PRaT excellence.

It was when I bought the Aqvox that I really started to enjoy this can. All of the above impressions are based on a Aqvox > Dynahi > W5000 setup. The Melos was also very nice with the W5000, but the Dynahi just eeks out that extra detail and space. However, I've recently been browsing the internet for additonal amplification options, which the sale of a W11JPN could help procure. >:D

The one thing I was having a hard time with was the possibility of a slightly diminished transparency in sound of the Duos as compared to the Unos. So there I found myself removing the Duos out of the room and reinstalling the Unos. Let then settle in for a few days and listened to Willie, Wagner and the Chesky Records recordings very carefully. Then I removed the Unos and brought back in the Duos. Listened to the same musical passages and realized that it was not that the Unos were less transparent; it was the deceiving nature of slightly augmented midrange and highs! If you have had the opportunity to use a truly transparent equalizer (i.e. the Z-Systems rdp-1 as in Ultimate Audio Volume 2, Number 1) you can easily add a few dB of upper midrange and slightly lower the midbass and presto change-o, you seem to have better imaging and added clarity. This is a neat trick that seems to find its way into quite a few audiophile loudspeaker designs... including the Lowther. While it is hard to define how much the Lowther augments the 1kHz to 2kHz range as there are more cabinet designs and super tweaks to reduce the frequency peak, careful listening to a truly smooth frequency response design will allow one to know the truth.

From an Avantgarde Duo review.

There are more than a few headphones that are guilty of this trick. I wouldn't confuse upper midrange hotness with increased transparency. Glad to see that I'm not crazy ;D

I haven't spent much time with the 5000, but from what I read it went to the same school as the w100, which I did own for about a month. As soon as I put those on, man the brightness was in your face. That was out of my soha, and even after I built my new tube amp, I could not get past the upper midrange. It just about led to sibilance in a lot of recordings. Just as I thought I'd just get used to it, I got this vtg, which was everything I wanted the w100 to be, and more. I guess I am looking for a more euphonic sound.

>There are more than a few headphones that are guilty of this trick. I wouldn't confuse upper midrange hotness with increased transparency. Glad to see that I'm not >crazy

i rather take uppermidrange/midrange emphasized than recessed from mids/uppermids...

smiley face response is good for non-audiophiles since you can turn volume up without it hurting so much ears LOUD =GOOD

and when it comes to headphones... hrtf's play big part for your match with headphones diffuse field equalization.

>There are more than a few headphones that are guilty of this trick. I wouldn't confuse upper midrange hotness with increased transparency. Glad to see that I'm not >crazy

i rather take uppermidrange/midrange emphasized than recessed from mids/uppermids...

smiley face response is good for non-audiophiles since you can turn volume up without it hurting so much ears LOUD =GOOD

and when it comes to headphones... hrtf's play big part for your match with headphones diffuse field equalization.

Welcome to head-case! :)

• 2 weeks later...

k so its an isolated incident, but when listening to the kg/sh acoustech "icky thump", the Dynahi -> W5000 does electric guitar crunch better then the RS-1. Fuller, richer, crunchier, smoother. And the drum snap is fantastic. Spinning this record with these cans has me playing air guitar and air drums like crazy. good stuff! ;D

• 2 weeks later...

The best headphones don't recess or emphasize that region.