ATC speakers

shellylh

Seriously interested in getting pair of ATC SCM20PSL (passive) loudspeakers to replace the Ascend Sierra 2 or KEF LS50.  Right now I am using a NAD M32 integrated amp ( up to 180W into 8ohms I think)  but since I have plenty of DAC/pres, I could sell that and get a different power amp --- maybe ATC P1/P2 or some other.  Any reason I am not going to like it?  I like the idea of having detailed and linear speakers.   I thought about going for the active 20s but don't want to deal with having heavy speakers on stands unless it would really sound a lot better.   Thoughts? 

image.png.20f65694a401b5771c666892c489df69.png

http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/professional/loudspeakers/scm20psl-pro/

https://vintageking.com/atc-loudspeakers-scm20psl-mk2-pair

Edited by shellylh

18 minutes ago, morphsci said:

Sweet, thanks Jim!  I didn't see the demo.  I did also notice that they have a used version of the actives for $4390 (which seems like a pretty good deal for amp+speakers).  I still like the idea of passives. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SCM20ASL--atc-scm20asl-pro-mk2-6.5-inch-powered-studio-monitors?cond=SCM20ASLU2

OK, I might have just ordered the demo passives.  

Edited by shellylh
  • Like 5

The ATC room has always been the highlight for me at the past few axponas. I’m a fan of the actives only because you get to rid of a box. Some of the “cheaper” ones don’t have the same kind of bass extension, so I’d recommend getting the most expensive ones you can afford 😭

• Like 1

ATC is pretty cool, if a little overpriced. I consider a used SCM40 to be the best deal, as it's the easiest way to enjoy their dome mid. Probably the SCM20 will also cut the proverbial mustard, but I'd try to get the active version as it's extra special.

For less cashmonies Neumann KH310 is also quite delectable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skullguise said:

I kind of like the idea of a Brooklyn Bridge and the actives myself 😈  I tried that briefly with Emotiva Airmotiv 5's to a nice result.....

This is immediately where my head went. Sell one of the spare DACses, the NAD, and the displaced monitors and call it even?  I know, fuzzy math, but isn't that your thing, Shelly? 😈

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

• 2 months later...

I like the Parasound A23+ with the Moths. I briefly considered the A21+, but with these speakers even the lower powered amp is overkill for power output. I like the independent channel gain controls On the Parasound amps and it has been more useful than I initially thought. The ATC amp has more power than a single Parasound, but for the price of the ATC you could buy two Parasounds and run them in bridged mode @500W per channel. Seems like a good problem to have.

Edited by morphsci
  • Like 2

The ATC like lots of power so I think the A23+ wouldn't be a great fit.  The ATC P2 is dual mono amp which I like but it is $1000 more than the A21+.  I am not sure I like the idea of bridging the amps.  You get more wattage but won't there still be an issue with current.  Also, if the speakers dip below 8ohms, does it become a problem?  The nice thing about 2x A23+ is it would be cheaper than and I could biwire the speakers (but then I am only getting 200W).  Or I could stick with the NAD M32 integrated amp I have right now (which is 150W per channel I think) and I can biwire.  Short story, I think I am still leaning to A21+ or ATC P2 or sticking with the NAD M32.  

P2-Amplifier-Module.jpg

atcp2.jpg

a21+_interior.jpg

These bookshelves aren't that power hungry. The question is how wild is the impedance/phase curve. For what the ATC amp has under the hood the price is a daylight robbery. I don't know what's your disposition against Class-D, but recently I heard an active system based on Hypex nCore amps and... it was pretty fricken great. Maybe see if one of NAD's newer M-series power amps are available for a good price. Nord Audio nCore and Puri-fi amps are also a superb value.

• Like 3

I second the NCore and Purifi-based amps recommendation.  My all-in-one uses modified Purifi amp modules and is pretty awesome.

The Hypex UcD & nCore, and the Purifi modules, are all from the same core designer, Bruno Putzeys; and that was the first Class D I REALLY liked.....

The new NAD M33 DAC/Streamer/Amp uses the Purifi modules, too.  The others use (slightly modded I believe) nCore modules.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, shellylh said:

There is also the Benchmark AHB2 and Mytek amp if I am looking at Class D.

Benchmark is a Class-G amp with an SMPSU, so it's more akin to a Class-AB. The Mytek is Class-D and uses Pascal modules which aren't bad, but I don't consider them to be of the same level as nCore and Puri-fi.

14 hours ago, skullguise said:

The new NAD M33 DAC/Streamer/Amp uses the Purifi modules, too. 

And has DIRAC which will make the biggest audible difference. If @shellylh can swing that, then it should be pretty much perfect.

• Like 1

I second the NCore and Purifi-based amps recommendation.  My all-in-one uses modified Purifi amp modules and is pretty awesome.
The Hypex UcD & nCore, and the Purifi modules, are all from the same core designer, Bruno Putzeys; and that was the first Class D I REALLY liked.....
The new NAD M33 DAC/Streamer/Amp uses the Purifi modules, too.  The others use (slightly modded I believe) nCore modules.

Which all in one do you have.

The new NAD M33 looks great but not sure I want an all in one (I have the M32 and kinda wish I would have got an M22 or M12+M22 at the time instead).

I wonder how the Hypex Ncore modules on the M22 v2 Stick up to the Purify modules on the new M33. I wonder when the Purify modules will show up in the M22 v3 if they do?

They're a pretty reputable company, Shelly.  A couple solid steps above DIY, but they've been doing it for several years (if not longer).  They've had some decent designs on the Hypex modules, and now Purifi.

The NC ranges are all Hypex nCore, with different modules or levels of extras/quality.  The Purifi uses the Purifi modules.  They also have one amp that uses the Stereo ICEEdge module, used to be B&O but is new (and better then the older ICEPower modules).  I actually have a tweaked out EVS dual-mono ICEEdge amp I'm selling too (a measly 600wpc 8ohms/1200 into 4).

But of all, my personal preference would probably be the Purifi amp modules.  I don't think Nord did as much to tweak the input stage as my all-in-one builder has; and if Ric Shultz @ EVS decides to build an amp using the Purifi module, he'll tweak it for best sound too.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I had a pair of atc50A in birdseye maple many years ago.  ATC are based in Stroud which is not far from me, they showed me round the factory while I had the drivers upgraded and gave me these as well as a demo of a preproduction pair of a new model.

They didn’t charge me for the upgraded drivers.

image.jpg

Edited by rod
  • Like 3