Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

I hope it works out, Stephen.

So other than food, gas, and whatnot, here's my lastest:

95151286.jpg

It's just about the prettiest Senn cable I've seen, courtesy of Nate Vaughn. Can't wait to hear it.

Oh and speaking of pretties, I finally took some pictures of swt61's gorgeous stand, but since my camera is crappy and the photographer is crappier, I'm going to wait until daylight to try again and see if I can get some better shots. Maybe someone at CanJam will have a good camera. It definitely needs to be shown off.

That is quite the sexy Sennheiser cable. What wire do you use for your stuff, Nate?

That is quite the sexy Sennheiser cable. What wire do you use for your stuff, Nate?

That's 24ga Neotech UP-OCC copper. I wanted to try it vs. the 22ga that I used on Ryan's cable. It is a bit more flexible and perhaps more importantly (for the postjack acceptance factor) not flesh toned. ;D

The SUCKITSTEFANAUDIOART cable

Wow, that's crazy, I don't think I've ever seen a Stefan cable before. [edit] I take that back, I just hadn't seen their K1K cables before. But, given that they state they're using OCC copper it's highly likely that this is in fact a very similar cable. And I guess that Vicki can feel like she got a pretty good deal since the 10' K1K cable w/ 1/4" termination runs $349 and the similar Senn cable $319.

:kitty:

I'd like to try my hand at a set of those, but I know I'd end up overheating the posts in the Senn. connectors and they'd move around.

How do you heat them up enough to take the solder without melting the plastic? What soldering iron should be used, and any tips?

I'd like to try my hand at a set of those, but I know I'd end up overheating the posts in the Senn. connectors and they'd move around.

How do you heat them up enough to take the solder without melting the plastic? What soldering iron should be used, and any tips?

It is somewhat of a delicate dance. Basically I strip enough wire so that there is a good amount exposed wire to set the iron on so that the heat is applied directly to the wire, not the pin. I use my Hakko 936 with the stock screwdriver type tip, it's a tight fit in there but I've been able to do it without melting the connector so far. I then flow just a bit of solder to allow some conduction between the wire and pin and then apply a bit more solder to facilitate the connection. That all takes about 3 seconds I'd say, if it starts taking longer I stop and wait for things to cool down before trying again. It usually works the first time and I haven't had it take more than 2 to get a good connection. I also then fill the remaining cavity in the Cardas connector with hot glue to try and take as much strain off of the soldered connection as possible. I also use a layer of adhesive-lined heat shrink between the connector's strain relief and the exposed wires with the same idea in mind. Then I wrap the whole business in on final layer of non-adhesive shrink to finish it off.

Bottom line, it's really not that hard but you do have to have the right tools and supplies.

All great tips! I'd have done everything wrong, including trying to heat the pins instead of the wire. Thanks Nate! I may get brave enough to order the right tools and try it.

seems that simply tinning both first (or at least the wire) then heating the wire up when it's touching the connector would be the ticket to success... that and some Panavise product.

seems that simply tinning both first (or at least the wire) then heating the wire up when it's touching the connector would be the ticket to success... that and some Panavise product.

Good points. Of course I use both a vise and a helping hands tool. You need four or five hands to do this right.

Good points. Of course I use both a vise and a helping hands tool. You need four or five hands to do this right.

Isn't that always the case (4 or 5 hands needed...). Those are very nice looking cables Nate Vince. Is that just red heatshrink on the wires themselves? I haven't looked the Senn connectors over closely as I have never owned any Senns, but is there enough room to get some type of heatsink (the kind for soldering) in there on the pin? Probably not, but that could help in terms of not letting the pin heat up too much.

Nate and Vicki, the cable looks great.

Tickets to what might be one of the worst live shows I've seen. Freddie Hubbard could not play more than a few notes a song. The band that backed him up, including Bobby Hucherson on vibes was excellent. In the end, I guess it was more a disappointment not hearing Freddie play.

Nate and Vicki, the cable looks great.

Is that just red heatshrink on the wires themselves?

That's just the wires themselves.

but is there enough room to get some type of heatsink (the kind for soldering) in there on the pin? Probably not, but that could help in terms of not letting the pin heat up too much.

Highly unlikely, there isn't much space if any and I'm not sure if putting a sink on the end of the pin would really help all that much.

Tickets to what might be one of the worst live shows I've seen. Freddie Hubbard could not play more than a few notes a song. The band that backed him up, including Bobby Hucherson on vibes was excellent. In the end, I guess it was more a disappointment not hearing Freddie play.

Was he just not up to it, health-wise? I know he's getting up there in the age category.

acapella huh? is there an instrumental only LP?

Not to my knowledge.

This isnt the actual DSOTM voices; its a different group, performing the entire album.

It is also mastered by Kevin Gray of AcousTech.

This explains it a bit better:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VOCLP107

Out Of Print! Only 300 copies ever pressed!

Dark Side of the Moon A Cappella is an all-vocal version of Pink Floyd's magnum opus Dark Side of the Moon. No instruments were used in the recording of this unique version of the album. Eight singers and one "vocal percussionist" (similar to a beatboxer) recreate the original work in its entirety. The album was recorded without breaks between the tracks (as in the original), and is as close to the original in timing as possible. Produced and mixed by the renowned a cappella producer Freddie Feldman, this recording breaks new ground in both the worlds of a cappella and rock.

This "Collectors Edition" of Dark Side of the Moon A Cappella on vinyl is how the album was meant to be heard. This is a limited run, there were only 300 copies of this 12" 33rpm record ever pressed. It has been re-mastered from our high-definition master by Kevin Gray of AcousTech Mastering (mastered the Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon 30th Anniversary release on vinyl). These records are printed on the heavier 180g vinyl for the best possible sonic experience.

Musicians:

Stephanie Lewin, soprano

Jennifer Feucht, soprano

Melissa Smithson, alto

Jon Krivitzky, tenor

Chris Feucht, tenor

Alan Schmuckler, tenor

Mike Mahler, baritone

Dan Riley, bass

Freddie Feldman, vocal percussion

Features:

That's just the wires themselves.Highly unlikely, there isn't much space if any and I'm not sure if putting a sink on the end of the pin would really help all that much.

That is UP-OCC wire I take it? Mind telling me who's it is and where you get it from? I figured partsconnexion, but don't see any red 24ga there...