Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

Damn - I had forgotten about those. I wish I had the money to buy both OII and 4070...

Well, I sold deepak my O2s when these were incoming. If I had a KGBH SE I would be sad about them leaving. In the meantime, I won't miss them. The O2s sound decent on the GES but not so much on my 007t.

Thanks David. I should have cropped that one in a bit, but the color of the wall in our dining room creates a nice gear back-drop.

I am enjoying the 4070s right now, although it is the first couple hours of playing time. Is there burn-in with electrostats? Never thought of that before. The Woo Audio GES prototype I have on loan makes them sound better than the 007t, which kinda bums me out because I like the small form factor and balanced inputs on the Stax amp. It never ends...

no cropping! it looks way cool and balanced perfectly between the frame and drapes and nicely offset by the red wall--even propping them up on the case is visually impressive.

yeah, i am not 100% certain whether electrostats burn-in, though, if the drivers move i suppose they do.

Thanks David. I should have cropped that one in a bit, but the color of the wall in our dining room creates a nice gear back-drop.

I am enjoying the 4070s right now, although it is the first couple hours of playing time. Is there burn-in with electrostats? Never thought of that before. The Woo Audio GES prototype I have on loan makes them sound better than the 007t, which kinda bums me out because I like the small form factor and balanced inputs on the Stax amp. It never ends...

They tend to ease up a bit in the first few hours but there is no K701 10,000hour burn in needed. I really should hook up my 4070 one of these days... :-[

A temporary transport, while I save for the real deal.

OPPO - DV-980HD Universal DVD Player

Oh and today is Bass Day :prettyprincess:

Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius

Overtime - Dave Holland

The New Oscar Pettiford Sextet - Oscar Pettiford

Conference of the Birds - Dave Holland Quartet

Emerald Tears - Dave Holland

If This Bass Could Only Talk - Stanley Clarke

Charlie Hayden and Antonio Forcione - Heartplay

Voltron I've always been curious how the closed Stax sound compared to the open models. Can you shed any light there?

I'll leave Al to post his own impressions but the 4070 shows what the SR-404 driver really can do when freed from the craptacular Lambda housing. They were however deigned for a certain job and that is monitoring and that has to be taken into account for any comparisons. I don't think that there is any better tool for the job though as they simply slice the sound up into little bits that can be viewed at will. The bass is controlled and lacks bloom compared to the other Stax models but that allows the most minute of bass detail to spring forth. The midrange isn't as stunning as the one on the SR-007 but it's again very well controlled and the same thing can be said about the treble. It's shares the same slight forward lean of the other Lambda models but it's far cleaner though just a tad shut in. The soundstage is rather limited and that's the only real weakness of the closed design but that's to be expected.

^^^Me too, Dusty, although the bottom one is my fave.

I could actually hear the 4070s "loosening" a bit during the first few hours. I was comparing them to the O2s that are on their way to Deepak today. At first, the 4070 seemed more muted than the O2 -- and for me that is saying something. But they opened up over time and sounded more like what I recalled from Wayne's pair and the ones I heard at CanJam. I am very happy and can now have a wife-approved e-stat bedside rig! :dance: More impressions more later.

I am very happy and can now have a wife-approved e-stat bedside rig! :dance: More impressions more later.

I would like to state, for the record, that I really do appreciate the fact that you don't list your gear in your sig. Other wise I'd spend my whole day trapped in a fit a of envy.

^^^Me too, Dusty, although the bottom one is my fave.

I could actually hear the 4070s "loosening" a bit during the first few hours. I was comparing them to the O2s that are on their way to Deepak today. At first, the 4070 seemed more muted than the O2 -- and for me that is saying something. But they opened up over time and sounded more like what I recalled from Wayne's pair and the ones I heard at CanJam. I am very happy and can now have a wife-approved e-stat bedside rig! :dance: More impressions more later.

Cool! Thanks Al.

Don't have any pictures yet but I bought a pair of O2's and a KGSS yesterday :kitty:

Nice Todd!

Actually, that sounds like them charging up.